What to do with a E-bike nobber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's still just a matter of poor policing and over-stretched police forces. Many people, police included, wouldn't know at a glance the difference between a legal e-assist MTB and a 4000w e-MTB. I'd have thought it would be an obvious stop if someone was seen doing 30mph up a hill, but you never hear of anyone getting done for it unless they've killed a pedestrian.

Same reason why there are loads of 2 stroke motocross bikes with L plates knocking about; the police assume that becasue they are 125s then they are learner legal. I saw a KTM 125 SX with L plates the other day, which makes 38bhp (the limit is 14bhp for learners). In fact I have seen this bike on my commute for quite a few weeks so they presumably haven't been pulled yet.

It may have a restriction fitted to the intake.
Usually a washer with a smaller hole so power is reduced.. unless he's off like a scalded cat of course

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Trek just unveiled a new E bike Domane, top speed 28mph and range of 80miles . Not legal in the EU..................... :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It was supplied like that, not that I would have reflectors on a cycle way.
Plus if someone cant see my retina burner light it wouldn't matter about what's in my spokes
It shouldn't have been supplied like that (Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations) and reflectors are legally-required on a cycle way too, not spoke reflectors and retina burning lights are illegal (all Road Vehicle Lighting Regs).

If I were you, I would be cautious about complaining too loudly about the lawbreaking of someone else unless you are willing to either make your bike legal or pay the fines if the police do a crackdown in the hope of catching the illegal e-bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
Grass him up! My retina searing zillion candlepower search lights are supplementary, in addition to legal obligatory lights, so the feds are welcome to do their worst.

dodgy

As if a few missing reflectors are in the same league of concerns as a derestricted e-bike, basically a moped. I've seen these things also. There's a guy in Hoylake one who zooms down Market Street from time to time, looks like a Moto X bike but with pedals (which he doesn't turn).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My understanding is it’s only legal if used on public roads with a registration plate, valid insurance, taxed and whilst wearing a crash helmet, as they are classed as a motorcycle, however the people who buy such things are never going to do that, also thinking about it, they should also be type approved as a motorcycle, which I bet they aren’t either.

Yes, that's the other side of the same coin.

There is an obscure 'taxation' class for low powered electric cycles, although the duty on it is zero.

It is possible to get one type approved on an individual basis, but there's lots of paperwork, and you have to take it to one of only two or three locations in the country where a man from the ministry is available to inspect it.

The approved bike - with a rear number plate - can then only be ridden where you can also ride a motorbike or a car.

It's a pointless exercise, a petrol moped would be far superior in all respects - faster, cheaper, better range, and probably lower maintenance.

Slipperdiff

Regular
I spoke to an e-bike manufacturer on his stand at the Silverstone Classic last year who said that their company were supplying derestricted e-bikes for the Police to evaluate. Apparently they were identified as being suitable for chasing down nuisance moped and scooter riders and the guy said the top speed was around 50 mph.
Hope this reckless e-biker is not a policeman!

dodgy

I wouldn't trust anything a salesman says.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
It shouldn't have been supplied like that (Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations) and reflectors are legally-required on a cycle way too, not spoke reflectors and retina burning lights are illegal (all Road Vehicle Lighting Regs).

If I were you, I would be cautious about complaining too loudly about the lawbreaking of someone else unless you are willing to either make your bike legal or pay the fines if the police do a crackdown in the hope of catching the illegal e-bike.

:laugh: So a mad man tearing down a cycle path at 30mph isn't a problem but no reflectors are..
Glad you prioritize things ..are you a traffic warden?

Ps the reflectors on my £6000 ebike were in a bag. With a bell. Hth

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Better than no lights though ! Plus its probably about time the laws in this case were looked at anyway. Its digressing , back onto the dodgy ebikes again :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mail order bikes generally come with the reflectors in a bag to be put on during the build / setup, and that's the retailer covered so long as they supply them and tell the buyer it's a requirement.
I admit, I have zero reflectors on my road bike, I never bothered putting them on (largely because it never, ever goes out at night). But I did receive them, plus an instruction to fit them.

It is of course a question of priority isn't it, no-reflectors-Levo is unquestionably less bad than e-bike nobber, e-bike nobber is less bad than gangs of feral kids riding unregistered petrol motorbikes around footpaths and parks, and so on. The squeakiest wheel gets the oil, I guess there are many squeakier wheels than e-bike nobber in the eyes of the local police.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had a hydrogen powered bike in our building this week. Big gas bottle where the battery would be (neatly done within the frame). Cost £6k.. for a shopper, with cheap suspension forks, no-name cranks, bottom end Shimano hydraulic brakes (not even Deore).

The aim with the bike is for business, like delivery companies, as the refilling infrastructure won't be cheap, but it's an instant recharge and 120 miles on a fill.

The bike still offended my eyes, so I refused a ride, despite my colleagues trying to persuade me, knowing full well of my accident rate (PS I'm referred to as a legend at work - probably due to me surviving a (badly) broken spine and still riding):wacko::bicycle::whistle:

Top Bottom