What to do with an unused titanium hardtail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought this Global TH1.5 frame about ten years ago as a "frame for life" and it's given me great service in several incarnations, with springy forks, rigid forks and recently shod with slicks and used for C2C. It's very light and fast as an XC bike.

I haven't ridden off road since discovering road bikes about 5 years ago but have been hanging onto the Global in the expectation that I might go off road again but I can honestly say that after 21 years of mud and falls, some painful, I simply have no more enthusiasm for mountain biking. I've been there, done it and moved on.

So... what to do with the poor neglected old Global? I've tried it with the 700c wheels off my disc-braked Tricross and they filled the frame and looked good but were scarily close to the frame bridges so I reckon 650b wheels would fit it well and I could convert it into a gravel/winter/all-purpose/touring bike with drop bars. However this would mean more expense in the form of bars and brakes and the shifters and 8 speed cassette might be problematic. It is also heavily over-geared and over-braked for road or gravel use and I'm not sure how suitable the geometry would be.

Alternatively I sell it, in which case is it best to dismantle it and sell all the bits or sell "as is"? How much could I get for the Ti frame alone?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

P1060324.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surely you meant under-geared? :whistle: (Yes, I know - don't call you 'Shirley'!)

How much are you hoping to get for it? My nephew is about our size and is talking about getting into cycling in the NY. It might be something that would interest him about spring time, though he wouldn't be able to afford a bike until he gets a job, and then he will probably spend his wages on wine, women and song instead ....

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used the wrong term really, I mean that it has too many gears but yes, it doesn't have a 50 big ring so it must be under geared.

As for price I'd be expecting £300 to £500 for the frame alone and I'm thinking £700 for the entire bike. Or am I deluding myself? All the components are good but old school.

ColinJ

As for price I'd be expecting £300 to £500 for the frame alone and I'm thinking £700 for the entire bike. Or am I deluding myself? All the components are good but old school.
I suppose eBay would answer that, or just try offering it here at that price and see what happens.

I have an old 58 cm aluminium Specialized Allez frame/forks which would fit my nephew and almost enough old parts lying around to build a bike for him. I'll see whether he gets into riding his horrible old hi-tensile catalogue bike. If he does and sticks to it, then he would love the Allez.

If you get rid of it, you'll have to find a new name.
He's an old(ish) git, like me, and he rides a carbon fibre road bike so I suggest "Carbon dated'! :laugh:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
after 21 years of mud and falls, some painful, I simply have no more enthusiasm for mountain biking. I've been there, done it and moved on

Never say never. I've only ridden on road for years, and like you I've had a few off road crashes in the past. However, I've recently had a few yearnings to go off road again, and have been slowly refurbishing an old MTB. A major factor in my desire to have another go is this newly created route. I'm still put off by the mud aspect, but I only intend to ride off road when it's fairly dry, and I now have so many other interests I will be fairly picky about when and where to ride. Also, for my comeback I intend to take it fairly slow and steady, and just enjoy the view. No more crashing through rock gardens with my eyeballs bouncing around, trying to pick a line and hoping for the best! Maybe if you took a different approach you could really enjoy off road again?

ColinJ

swap out the forks for non-suspension (unless you can lock them), put slicks on and it will make a very swift commuter bike…
Take a good look at the photo of the bike, above! :okay:

simon.r

Person
I'm in a not dissimilar position, with a Ti singlespeed MTB in the garage that hasn't been ridden for years. I'm fortunate in that I don't need the money I'd get if I sold it, so I'm hanging onto it. I understand what you say about having no enthusiasm for mountain biking, but who knows what the future holds?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
swap out the forks for non-suspension (unless you can lock them), put slicks on and it will make a very swift commuter bike…

....and I quote: "rigid forks and recently shod with slicks and used for C2C. It's very light and fast as an XC bike."

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Almost. I got a disappointing £240 for the frame but I'm eBaying the bits now... got £21 for the FD and the brakes have 3 watchers at £45. I'll put the wheels on soon.

Top Bottom