What to do with helmet camera footage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.youtube.com/user/markcyclecam
Be prepared to have your riding ripped to shreds and try not to bombard forums with links to your clips with ever incident filmed would be my advice :thumbsup:

That was my commute for 8 years.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I came on here to have an adult conversation. No need for you to join in if you're going to behave like a 2 year old. Haven't you got anything better to do than post on a thread you're not interested in, just to express exactly how uninterested you are? Business must be a bit slow in the magic industry...

You came on here to have an adult conversation about what to do with helmet cam footage. An adult conversation? On Cycle Chat? Helmet Cams? Bloody good luck with that chummy.

KneesUp

Guru
I presume you're not going to post footage that is called things like "Uneventful ride 48" - although if you want to keep those rides for your own reasons (they might be an interesting insight into a lost world to your grandchildren) then stick them on-line for storage where only you can see them.

If you have videos called "Idiot in a Polo Reg: YZ59 ABC" then you might be advised to take them to the police before you make them public.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You came on here to have an adult conversation about what to do with helmet cam footage. An adult conversation? On Cycle Chat? Helmet Cams? Bloody good luck with that chummy.

bicyclops has been a member since yesterday - you can hardly expect a new member to realise the kind of response some people on here give to helmet cammers.

Some (quite a lot, in fact) of cyclechat members have normal, grown up conversations about many things.

If you were trying to warn him of the flak to come, there are both nicer and more comprehensible ways of doing it.

Perhaps it's time bicyclops was shown how to use the ignore function...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If I were ever get a cycle cam, I'd use it like a CCTV recording to only save incidents that I might need to use as evidence following a collision to aid my failing memory, other than the recordings would never see the light of day.... what many people see as incidents where they take offence, I see as folk just getting on with their lives oblivious to everything except themselves...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If I were ever get a cycle cam, I'd use it like a CCTV recording to only save incidents that I might need to use as evidence following a collision to aid my failing memory, other than the recordings would never see the light of day.... what many people see as incidents where they take offence, I see as folk just getting on with their lives oblivious to everything except themselves...
That's how I see it. I get offed and hurt, the camera footage might come in useful to my loved ones and lawyers. Otherwise only of use for me.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
bicyclops has been a member since yesterday - you can hardly expect a new member to realise the kind of response some people on here give to helmet cammers.

Some (quite a lot, in fact) of cyclechat members have normal, grown up conversations about many things.

If you were trying to warn him of the flak to come, there are both nicer and more comprehensible ways of doing it.

Perhaps it's time bicyclops was shown how to use the ignore function...

Yup, that is true, can't argue with that.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks markymark, I'll look at Roadsafe. I've also had a positive result from the director of a company after almost being run over by one of their vans.

Some strange responses from some people. Why so negative? It makes me really angry when a driver almost kills me by driving dangerously, so to me it's natural to want to do something about it. If the footage can in some way be used to make them realise how they've been driving it might save another cyclist's life in the future.
"It makes me really angry" we've all been there, it is the adrenaline, fight or flight reflex in response to stress. Perfectly normal, especially if you aren't hardened to the driving "standards" of many UK drivers. Best, I found, in the end, to find a way to let it ebb away and not dwell on it.

"almost being run over" and "almost kills you" I'm ambivalent about these. If the vehicle actually made contact, fair enough I buy the "almost" in each statement. If it didn't then what you are really saying is "not run over" and "didn't kill you" and, more likely even, "didn't harm you" and youtube is overloaded of name'n'shame clips which others look at and see nothing whatsoever to get agitated about. On the other hand there are ghastly clips on there showing driving fully deserving of a visit from Inspector Knacker and some police forces have wised up to the usefulness of cam footage in those, thankfully, fairly rare situations.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Something bad happens it's there if I need it otherwise it's deleted.

I only upload to YouTube these days if it's a company vehicle or it's really odd. It can be fun when a video of an employee driving dangerously is on the 1st page of a companies google results, especially when they later hire some SEO company...

OP
OP
B

bicyclops

"It makes me really angry" we've all been there, it is the adrenaline, fight or flight reflex in response to stress. Perfectly normal, especially if you aren't hardened to the driving "standards" of many UK drivers. Best, I found, in the end, to find a way to let it ebb away and not dwell on it.

"almost being run over" and "almost kills you" I'm ambivalent about these. If the vehicle actually made contact, fair enough I buy the "almost" in each statement. If it didn't then what you are really saying is "not run over" and "didn't kill you" and, more likely even, "didn't harm you" and youtube is overloaded of name'n'shame clips which others look at and see nothing whatsoever to get agitated about. On the other hand there are ghastly clips on there showing driving fully deserving of a visit from Inspector Knacker and some police forces have wised up to the usefulness of cam footage in those, thankfully, fairly rare situations.

Fair enough mate, each to their own, but I'm not ambivalent about a lorry passing so close that if the bike had a slight wobble for any reason I'd be under their wheels. That makes me angry regardless of whether they actually hit me or not. Also, the movement of air from someone passing fast and close can physically move the bike without actually hitting it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Fair enough mate, each to their own, but I'm not ambivalent about a lorry passing so close that if the bike had a slight wobble for any reason I'd be under their wheels. That makes me angry regardless of whether they actually hit me or not. Also, the movement of air from someone passing fast and close can physically move the bike without actually hitting it.
That's understandable, @bicyclops, and I feel the same way about close passes and other threatening actions, which is why I use a forward-facing helmet-mounted camera, plus a rear-facing camera mounted on my saddle rail. Most of my daily recordings just get deleted. Generally the only ones I save are
  1. those showing new variations on my commute routes, because I like to have a video record of these so I can review the pros and cons of that route; and
  2. the ones showing particularly bad motorist behaviour, which I might be tempted to post on Youtube. This isn't something I habitually do: I think I've averaged about one such recording a year over the last 4 years.
Just remember there are many forum members who use cameras and can relate to your posts :thumbsup:.

Welcome to the CC fora, by the way :smile:.

Regards,

--- Victor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom