What to do with my bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My old Peugoet is currently unrideable; the rear derailleur caused some problems and is not fit for purpose. I am quite upset about it as I like the bike, it is what I use to commute and is used for local rides. My predicament is, that any repairs and/or replacements are likely to cost considerably more than the bike is worth, and certainly more than what I paid for it.

What is the solution?

I have considered converting it to single speed, however I ride in hilly terrain so I don't think this is viable option, there is also the issue of finding parts compatible with this old bike, it's giving me a real head ache, it's as good as wrote off. :cry:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Parts should be available - it'll be a common (and fairly cheap) part.

Davidc

Guru
Replacing a derailleur shouldn't be too expensive, particularly if you look at second hand or NOS adverts.

Failing that you could look at hub gear options. There are Sturmey Archer and Shimano at tolerable prices, and again second hand options.

Gary E

Veteran
As Davidc said, go on ebay and you'll pick one up for peanuts. Not sure on the exact one you need but there are dozens on there for well under a tenner posted. Fitting one is not that difficult and there are loads of 'how to' videos on You Tube.

OP
OP
L
The scenario that is more than likely is, once the derailleur is replaced, the chain has to be replaced, because the chain is replaced I have to replace the freewheel also, might as well replace the cables as well...... The whole drive train has to be replaced.

Norm

Do you have any emotional attachment to the bike?
If Yes > Repair / Replace parts
Of No > Strip for parts and sell them to someone in a similar position

:thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
Fix it yourself. Cheap, easy, and you'll have a connection with the bike you never had before. Ill be dead in the cold, cold ground before I pay anyone to work on one of my bikes.

Top Bottom