What to take with you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

What do u guys take on a ride with you?

i am looking at getting accesories and stuff for when i get a road bike

on my list so far are

pedals 20
shoes 30
jersey 20
shorts 15
track pump 18
mini pump 16
frame bag 5

and some other stuff that has got me to a total of 148 quid without inner tubes or patches. am i spending too much. if i am what do i REALLY need

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:

on my list so far are

pedals 20
shoes 30
jersey 20
shorts 15
track pump 18
mini pump 16
frame bag 5

and some other stuff that has got me to a total of 148 quid without inner tubes or patches. am i spending too much. if i am what do i REALLY need

:biggrin: You cant take a track pump with you. :evil:
I take myself and the bike.
On the bike goes, saddle bag with tyre levers, spare inner tube and a multi-tool. Pump on the bottle cage mount. 2 bottle cages, 2 bottles. bike computer. Food in jersey pockets.
£148 is probably about what i spent. Might of been abit more though, but i got my stuff over a period of time when i could afford it, birthday, xmas and stuff. You'll need lights aswell for winter, but you can wait till when it gets dark for those.
I'd go for a frame pump though. Easier to get more pressure in your tyres again. My mini pump has been used a few times, but when i have used the same make of pump but a frame pump you get the pressure up better.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hello Y'un..and welcome..
For the ride itself...
Mini pump - £16 ?...i use a Zefal SP3( i think) pump. Its shaped to sit under the topbar without any clips etc...and mine was only £5 brand new from the LBS. A good backup for the ride. Inflates road tyres more than adequately...and a lot cheaper...like this one...

http://velokit.co.uk/cart_productdetails.asp?PRODUCTID=1811

Frame bag...a corner bag ? Most road bike riders will use a saddle bag..Topeak for instance. You can get just the bag, or theres this one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...Topeak Compact Survival Tool Wedge Saddle Bag

I always try to carry a spare innertube. and quick link for the chain.

caz

Hi Young Un

I think I remember reading you were after getting a road bike. If you can afford to get a new one you may be able to get a load of stuff "thrown in". I recently got myself my first road bike and got a deal for 2x spare inner tubes, bottle & cage, computer, mudguards, spd pedals and something else (I can't remember now what it was) which would have cost me over £100, but I got it for £25!! You could decide what "extras" you need and do a deal!

Go and have a look at Cycle Studio (behind M&S) in Stratford - they were very helpful!

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

It was this mini pump i was looking at which comes with a saddle bag which was why i was looking at corner bags.

and yes joe ur right i cant take a frame pump with me:biggrin: but it was just my list of everything i was gonna buy that wasnt the bike.

the wiggle saddle bag looks good gbb - i was havin a look at it the other day

and how do the frame pumps attatch?? - the ones like this

bonj2

Young Un said:

on my list so far are

pedals 20
shoes 30
jersey 20
shorts 15
track pump 18
mini pump 16
frame bag 5
things you NEED (to take with you):
spare tube(s)
pump (mini pump or frame pump)
tyre lever.

things you COULD DO WITH:
multitool
pedals/shoes
track pump (left at home)

by the way a 'frame' pump isn't the same as a track pump, a frame pump is just a pump that is designed to be long and thin in order to fit parallel to the seat tube held in between the top tube and the down tube.
A mini-pump is shorter and possibly stubbier, normally comes with a bracket to attach to a bottle cage mount (aswell as a bottle cage).
A track pump is great for pumping tyres up to pressure quickly and has a guage, but is too bulky to take with you.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Gary D said:
Young Un,
That pump you have referenced to is very good value and works well. Buy one now at that price!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032759&N=YPK Nitro Sport Pump

I have one and have used it out on the road. It clips in a bracket that goes under the bottle cage and is also secured with velcro.

If you are going to Slipstreamers on Wednesday evening I will show it to you!

Gary.
Yup should be at slipstreamers back on my own bike!!

Joe24

My saddle bag is this one. Hard shell and water proof so you can put your phone in(gives an excuse to not answer it) and it keeps everything dry if you decide to go without mud guards or it rains heavy on a ride.
Oh, if you can, get SKS Race Blades or the slightly cheaper version of them. Mine are Giant ones, cant remember the price. They are cooler to have on the road bike and once fitted, you can take them off and put them back on in a few mins. Stops all the dirt going up your back.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Gary D said:
Young Un,
That pump you have referenced to is very good value and works well. Buy one now at that price!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032759&N=YPK Nitro Sport Pump

I have one and have used it out on the road. It clips in a bracket that goes under the bottle cage and is also secured with velcro.

If you are going to Slipstreamers on Wednesday evening I will show it to you!

Gary.

unfortunately i wont be at slipstreamers as i have a cricket match:blush:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

yh we have to play 20/20 at school matches, well annoying cus you only get abuot half way dwn the batting order, well not unless you have our coach who retires you at 20, whereas at other school you bat till your out.:smile:

we play the back garden rules you described when we play at lunch, can't be out first ball 6 an out, loose the ball your out, 1 hand 1 bounce

Joe24

Dayvo said:
Nothing wrong with that!
Best sport there is (well it was before they started all this rubbish 20/20 stuff!
Why not have 'back garden cricket' as well. One hand one bounce, six and out etc.) :biggrin:

Could try bike cricket.
Like bike polo but without everyone having mallets and using cricket bats instead.
You know that would be fun, sprint up to the other end, skid round then sprint back without putting your foot down at all.:smile:

Top Bottom