What toppings do you (genuinely) enjoy on pancakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Pancakes have to be American style...

No, they really don't.

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some pages ago: basically, there is no single American style. Most are just a poor imitation of one of the Scottish styles. Let's give our friends north of the border the credit they deserve.
It's not an imitation, poor or not. People immigrated and took their recipes with them. They changed over the years. Others stayed behind and kept making the same recipes, and they also changed over the years.

And (too lazy to google it) maybe they didn't evolve from Scottish cuisine, maybe blinis or poffertjes. Once you are mixing flour, eggs and a leavening agent and pouring the results onto a hot pan, it's easy to end up with American pancakes - or drop scones.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
'Pancakes' are such a nebulous concept... I make a thick buckwheat-flour pancake that's like a cross between a blini and a non-yeasted crumpet. Don't know if it corresponds to any established recipe but it hardly seems to matter.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yer actual traditional pancakes - lemon and sugar, maple syrup or golden syrup, or Grand Marnier. Or Nutella.
Buckwheat pancakes aka galettes or Staffordshire oatcakes - cheese and ham.
US style pancakes - bacon or maple syrup. Bacon and maple syrup is just wrong IMHO.

Tin Pot

Guru
My Grand daughter is coming to stay and threatened (sorry............promised) to make us pancakes.
Years since I've eaten them and always with the traditional lemon & sugar topping.
I realise there will be some weird and wonderful (horrible) suggestions........but go for it :smile:
Bacon cheese chives parsley in a Guinness pancake

Top Bottom