What toppings do you (genuinely) enjoy on pancakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just sugar for me. I like them " au naturel".

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5006155, member: 45"]Chocolate and cinnamon

Cherries

Maple syrup[/QUOTE]
when you say "chocolate and cinnamon..............what do you mean ? ie pieces of chocolate and cinnamon powder ??

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anything that can be eaten without pancakes assuming you mean the soggy anaemia British types (blech)
I suspect you mean the basic English Housewife pancake (not my choice of name - "The English Housewife" is a very old cookbook) because I've rarely seen the others served pale, but even that shouldn't be anaemic or soggy IMO. Should be like a slightly thicker version of a golden Breton crêpe or a slightly thinner Dutch pancake.

American ones are a different matter, lots of salted butter and maple syrup (and bacon and a fried egg with Ketchup if breakfast)
Americans can't even agree among themselves which Scottish pancakes they meant to steal! :laugh: Do you mean the ones that are like drop scones, Scotch pancakes (slightly bigger and flatter, like the Dennys pics seem to show) or bannock? I've also seen some American cafes serving some really fluffy sugary eggy thing dusted with extra icing sugar that I think has another name in Canada that I can't remember right now!

As for toppings, lemon curd is good on most types. Ham and cheese on any of the unsweetened ones too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Please tell me that is a joke.
Galician speciality http://www.spain-recipes.com/mussel-pancakes.html

Also Brittany/Normandy galette fruits de mer

eg

1597612_11301449-1102fruimer-20120119-j120g.jpg

petek

Über Member
There's a place in London called My Old Dutch we went to once near the British Museum it was. Biggest pancakes ever, sweet or savoury. Massive range of toppings. Bleddy good.

I can't imagine that. Wholesome, healthy, natural. Here's the pancake menu from what I can only assume is a chain frequented by fitness fanatics (and coming to the UK, AIUI!)

https://www.dennys.com/food/pancakes/
I've lived in a country with Dennys. Only ever visited them at 3am, as open, warm clean (ish) and unlimited coffee.

But if you are talking pancakes in the US, it has to be IHOP

Top Bottom