What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Finished watching both Marvel's The Punisher and The Inhumans in past few days.

The Punisher was absolutely brilliant. The inner conflict within Frank Castle to do good and to avenge his family and his struggle to contain the violence within him was excellent.

The Inhumans was not so good. I watched it, but wouldn't be sorry if they cancelled the show. Iwan Rheon played a similar role to those he has done before. Ken Leung's Karnak was the best character though with some great character development, but it could have gone further.

Marvel seems to do better films e.g. Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy; while DC does better TV e.g. Constantine, Arrow, Preacher, etc.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Finished watching both Marvel's The Punisher and The Inhumans in past few days.

The Punisher was absolutely brilliant. The inner conflict within Frank Castle to do good and to avenge his family and his struggle to contain the violence within him was excellent.

The Inhumans was not so good. I watched it, but wouldn't be sorry if they cancelled the show. Iwan Rheon played a similar role to those he has done before. Ken Leung's Karnak was the best character though with some great character development, but it could have gone further.

Marvel seems to do better films e.g. Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy; while DC does better TV e.g. Constantine, Arrow, Preacher, etc.

Got to agree about Inhumans - it's like a low budget X-men but without the plot or character development. A shame as it had such a good premise.
And you're spot on about Iwan Rheon who seems to be carving out quite a career playing pretty much the same character in everything he's in.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Agree about In-humans too.

BTW Has anyone else tried to watch The Gifted.

Much the same thing and is supposedly carrying on from where the X-Men failed and disbanded

It shows some promise (more than In-humans seems to) but I am still finding it slow

Saying that, a lot of Sci-Fi stuff was slow and cheesy to start, yet flourished further on - Stargate SG1 and Star Trek TNG for example.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I've not watched The Gifted yet. I tried to watch Legion which is about Professor Xavier's son (played by Dan Stevens) and also a mutant, but couldn't get past the first episode. I was just bored.

I like the Arrowverse shows (except Supergirl which just lacks something which I can't put my finger on), and Constantine with Matt Ryan was my absolute favourite of the superhero shows - unfortunately they cancelled the show after only one season although the character (and the same actor) has appeared in some of the other Arrowverse shows.

Of the Marvel fare, Jessica Jones is probably the best show followed by Daredevil, and I was pleasantly surprised by Iron Fist.

I prefer detective shows like Poirot, Death in Paradise and similar. Something where I can participate and try and work out whodunnit rather than just as a passenger. Not Columbo though as they always showed you who the murderer was at the beginning if the show. What's the point in that?!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Creeped Out! (iPlayer)
The ya horror show turns it's attention to AI this week, and again, manages to put in a twist that I didn't see coming. I still think the strongest episode is "Cat Food" (episode 2) but these have been really good so far.

Detectorists, S3 (iPlayer)
A terrific episode this week, with a couple of laugh out loud moments among the more gentle humour. This series is edging toward National Treasure status, surely?

Lady Dynamite S2 (Netflix)
A terrific second season that doesn't out stay it's welcome, with a tight 8 episode run. Great use of the supporting characters, and some really good callbacks, particularly in the last episode.

Godless (Netflix)
Just started this - if you have Netflix, you'll have seen the banners at the top of your pages. It's a superior Western so far, taking its time to establish its characters and the stakes at play. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Outlander S3 (Prime)
It definitely seems that the writers have backended the action in this season - another exciting episode and a proper cliffhanger this week.

classic33

Leg End Member
Forged In Fire.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm up to episode 8 and Punisher has not disappointed, very much enjoying this.

It’s ok but it’s not great. The drama is well crafted but ultimately there is nothing new, no new story, no insight.

I’m being entertained by the fact the chick is super cute and that The Punisher is the doofus in O Brother Where Art Thou?

Has that ruined it for you? :biggrin:

Tin Pot

Guru
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains, you never change your socks. And the little streams of alcohol come trickling down the rocks...

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Has that ruined it for you? :biggrin:

Nope! Still loving The Punisher. In fact it inspired me to go back and watch one of my favourite Marvel shows of the last few years, Jessica Jones. Both Ritter and Tennant are excellent in this. Jones is a real anti-hero. Hard drinking, obnoxious and rude, but compelled to do the right thing. Just like the original comics (which I love (I hate it when they change things in the TV adaptation although I’ll let them off not making Tennant’s skin purple and dressing him in purple as it worked well)).

I've not watched The Gifted yet. I tried to watch Legion which is about Professor Xavier's son (played by Dan Stevens) and also a mutant, but couldn't get past the first episode. I was just bored.

I like the Arrowverse shows (except Supergirl which just lacks something which I can't put my finger on), and Constantine with Matt Ryan was my absolute favourite of the superhero shows - unfortunately they cancelled the show after only one season although the character (and the same actor) has appeared in some of the other Arrowverse shows.

Of the Marvel fare, Jessica Jones is probably the best show followed by Daredevil, and I was pleasantly surprised by Iron Fist.

I prefer detective shows like Poirot, Death in Paradise and similar. Something where I can participate and try and work out whodunnit rather than just as a passenger. Not Columbo though as they always showed you who the murderer was at the beginning if the show. What's the point in that?!

I liked Iron Fist too. I read the comics when I was a kid so seeing a TV version was really welcome. It was a shame that they didn't give Jones enough time to get the martial arts training, because it showed. Looking forward to season 2.

Top Bottom