What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
The Expanse - this is completely awesome sci-fi. It blows Altered Carbon right out of the water, which I thought was below average. I'm on season one. This is different though, its not action based like that, and a lot better for it. Its made by Scyfy, I was expected it to be naff, as what I have watched on there, Z-Nation, was low budget cheese, daft, nonsense, although it was ok"ish" This is a beautifully made TV show.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Expanse - this is completely awesome sci-fi. It blows Altered Carbon right out of the water, which I thought was below average. I'm on season one. This is different though, its not action based like that, and a lot better for it. Its made by Scyfy, I was expected it to be naff, as what I have watched on there, Z-Nation, was low budget cheese, daft, nonsense, although it was ok"ish" This is a beautifully made TV show.

I've had my eye on that for a while, having enjoyed immensely the "big 3" of Battlestar Galcitica (remake), Bab5 and Farscape (still my favourite) and more recenently been really impressed.with Dark Matter which just got better and better before being canned on an immense cliffhanger (I was aware of this).

So, l'll be taking your advice and giving the Expanse a go next

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A Very British Scandal - the BBC dramatisation of the Jeremy Thorpe affair, starring Hugh Grant as Thorpe and Ben Whishaw as Norman Scott, Thorpe's erstwhile lover. Both leads and the whole series were outstanding. It managed to be laugh-out loud funny as well as tragic. Clearly a one-sided view of the story (it takes it for granted that Thorpe was guilty), but it builds a very plausible story of the sort of establishment cover-up we all hope has gone for good.

It's on the iPlayer for a couple of weeks yet.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is there any real doubt about that? (TMN to me btw.)
Officially, there was not enough evidence to establish guilt, and since I wasn't party to the police investigation, the trial, or any behind-the-scenes shenanigans there may or may not have been, I think it's fair to say that doubt has to remain. My suspicion is that anything beyond a small amount of doubt is naive.

However. However bad or biassed the criminal justice system is and was, it's the one we've got, and a positive, trusting but critical attitude to it is better, in my view, than ill-informed, prejudicial leaping to conclusions - whether of the "he's a wrong'un so must be guilty" or the "he's on the side of the angels so must be innocent" variety. (Yes, I have just been reading the Secret Barrister - and it's a very good read, highly recommendable - but I've said the same thing before in various contexts.)

Of course, for a drama you need to establish one narrative. The narrative that Scott was a lying toad and Thorpe a man of impeccable morals isn't going to produce a good drama, and certainly not one that Russell T Davies and Stephen Frears are going to produce. There's a BBC documentary produced around the time and only just broadcast on BBC4 that I haven't yet seen, which may fill in some more of the story.

And apologies for the TMN - I looked back through the thread, but not far enough.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ah, wait until you've seen the documentary then, it is quite startling.
doonesburyguilty.jpg

Wrong name, but otherwise spot on.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've had my eye on that for a while, having enjoyed immensely the "big 3" of Battlestar Galcitica (remake), Bab5 and Farscape (still my favourite) and more recenently been really impressed.with Dark Matter which just got better and better before being canned on an immense cliffhanger (I was aware of this).

So, l'll be taking your advice and giving the Expanse a go next
I recently bought the Dark Matter series, but haven't watched it yet. I wish I'd properly read the Wikipedia article on it, since it now looks like I wasted my money on it. :sad: I hate it when good TV series just get cancelled, e.g. Firefly, Dark Angel.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I recently bought the Dark Matter series, but haven't watched it yet. I wish I'd properly read the Wikipedia article on it, since it now looks like I wasted my money on it. :sad: I hate it when good TV series just get cancelled, e.g. Firefly, Dark Angel.

To put your mind at rest, you've not wasted your money: Dark matter is superb. The journey is the thing, rather than the emerging backstory, intriguing though that is. Superb series

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Finished watching the new Picnic At Hanging Rock last night... and the finale was by far the weakest episode. Style over substance would be my three word review. 8/10 for style, 3/10 for substance.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Finished watching the new Picnic At Hanging Rock last night... and the finale was by far the weakest episode. Style over substance would be my three word review. 8/10 for style, 3/10 for substance.

Style of substance is true of the original movie too - though it is very stylish

I do like Peter Weir's other film "the last wave" though

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Loved the original. As so often, can't imagine why anyone felt a remake would be a good idea.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Style of substance is true of the original movie too - though it is very stylish

I do like Peter Weir's other film "the last wave" though
Yes... although its a couple of decades since i've seen it. It's hard to tell how much the TV series veered from the movie.
Loved the original. As so often, can't imagine why anyone felt a remake would be a good idea.
They kept to sun-kissed surrealness of it all... and having the best part of six hours to play with rather than two, they can tell the story in a slower format which really works for something like Picnic at Hanging Rock (except for the last episode which let it down).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes... although its a couple of decades since i've seen it. It's hard to tell how much the TV series veered from the movie.

They kept to sun-kissed surrealness of it all... and having the best part of six hours to play with rather than two, they can tell the story in a slower format which really works for something like Picnic at Hanging Rock (except for the last episode which let it down).
As best I can recall from 30 odd years back, if it was any slower it would be comatose

Top Bottom