What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Also watched the first episode of The Wire, having completely missed it first time around. Seemed a bit pedestrian if I'm honest, but will give it another try.
'Pedestrian' is why it's so good. It's the opposite of overblown cop shows such as 24 which are just one action scene after another. There's none of that silliness in The Wire. Car tyres don't squeal all the time. Bullets don't explode. The cops are often incompetent, the gangsters almost noble. The line between good and bad is blurred. Over its four series the story and characters evolve believably. It doesn't get silly. Well worth sticking with IMO.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bad Blood Netflix, lots of twists and turns in this Mafia story

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We quite got into S1, but after 2.5 episodes of S2 we’ve stopped watching it. The story lines are weak and we don’t understand most of the humour. Episode 1 was just about watchable, espisode 2 was boring and we couldn’t finish episode 3 it was that bad.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound promising - S1 had been one of the highlights on the telly this year too so we had been looking forward to S2. While there is an lot of content on Prime, far too much of it isn't very good. I really hope the Marvellous Mrs Maisel hasn't joined that category :ohmy:

'Pedestrian' is why it's so good. It's the opposite of overblown cop shows such as 24 which are just one action scene after another. There's none of that silliness in The Wire. Car tyres don't squeal all the time. Bullets don't explode. The cops are often incompetent, the gangsters almost noble. The line between good and bad is blurred. Over its four series the story and characters evolve believably. It doesn't get silly. Well worth sticking with IMO.

I'll keep going. :okay:

groundy74

Few episodes left of season 4 of the Strain then on to season 3 of Travellers (Netflix). Watch the film Split last night ready for Glass being released in 2019. Superb film with a great performance from James McAvoy.

sheddy

Legendary Member
BBC Storyville. How DuPont have poisoned us all with PFOA (used in the manufacture of PTFE)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bs68rr/storyville-poisoning-america-the-devil-we-know
1 day left on iplayer

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The third of a 'trilogy; of linked episodes;

(The Forge, Awakening, Kir'shara)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kir'Shara
I'm also enjoying the repeats of Enterprise on the horror channel. Actually, although it gets slagged off, Enterprise is a bloody good Trek show. I think it's better second time around.

My fave things about it:

They all mistrust the transporter.
No 'shields up' under attack, that hull plating keeps failing!.
Restricted speed to warp 5.
No prime directive, so ethical/moral dilemmas etc.
Dr Phlox & the running gag about his unseen somewhat viscous 'pets' (he fed a tribble to one!).

References to future Trek ie. one story was set on Ceti Alpha 5, eventually Khan's prison 100 years later, Brent Spiner guesting as Data creator Dr Soong's great grandfather (?) who decided that artificial life forms were the future, odd references to planets that crop up in later Trek, etc.

It's fun watching them lay the lore for later Trek shows. Liked the episode with the Borg, via 'ST First Contact'.

Massive Trek fan & 'Family Guy', 'The Orville' creator Seth McFarlane cameos in one story.

I just bought the DVD/Blu rays of 'ST Discovery' & 'The Orville' to binge watch over Xmas. I must be the only human apart from a bloke living in a cave half way up Mt Everest who doesn't have Netflix^_^.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm also enjoying the repeats of Enterprise on the horror channel. Actually, although it gets slagged off, Enterprise is a bloody good Trek show. I think it's better second time around.

My fave things about it:

They all mistrust the transporter.
No 'shields up' under attack, that hull plating keeps failing!.
Restricted speed to warp 5.
No prime directive, so ethical/moral dilemmas etc.
Dr Phlox & the running gag about his unseen somewhat viscous 'pets' (he fed a tribble to one!).

References to future Trek ie. one story was set on Ceti Alpha 5, eventually Khan's prison 100 years later, Brent Spiner guesting as Data creator Dr Soong's great grandfather (?) who decided that artificial life forms were the future, odd references to planets that crop up in later Trek, etc.

It's fun watching them lay the lore for later Trek shows. Liked the episode with the Borg, via 'ST First Contact'.

Massive Trek fan & 'Family Guy', 'The Orville' creator Seth McFarlane cameos in one story.

I just bought the DVD/Blu rays of 'ST Discovery' & 'The Orville' to binge watch over Xmas. I must be the only human apart from a bloke living in a cave half way up Mt Everest who doesn't have Netflix^_^.

Oddly that is a list why I don't watch Enterprise . It's reboot too far and that has taken a lot of them to get this far.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just started watching Mrs Wilson on BBC catch up. Only 3 episodes, but after the first one it is warming up nicely.

Top Bottom