What TV are you watching?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by AndyRM, 18 Feb 2016.

1. Threevok

Threevok Junior Member (Trainee)

Das Boot - Sky Atlantic (all 8 episodes on demand now)

I though this would be just an English language remake of the classic subtitled German classic TV mini series - How wrong I was

This a set some months later than the original - this is a mixture of the original Das Boot and Die Festung novels, and focuses not only on the U-Boat crew but the emerging resistance movement in La Rochelle - both stories linked by the radio operator on the U-boat and his sister a translator who gets mixed up in espionage, after running a last minute errand for her brother.

It is still subtitled, but has a mixture of French, German and English dialog

Be warned ! There are some upsetting scenes

By far the best thing I have seen in a while and I am only up to episode 4

10/10

andabby and meta lon like this.
  2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Nightflyers, net netflix syfi. Good so far.

3. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Veteran

Talking of classic progs, rewatching Rumpole of the Bailey. Leo McKern is the definitive, curmudgeonly Rumpole and Marion Mathis is simply perfect as "She who must be obeyed". I'd forgotten how funny and clever it was - unusual for Thames TV!

Edit: Marion Mathie

Last edited: 8 Feb 2019
    Leaway2 and Profpointy like this.
  4. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Brilliant series

Adam4868 likes this.
  5. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

Just watched Secret Scotland with Susan Calman on 5HD. Only looked in as it was hyped up on the One Show.

Superficial dross.

Reiver likes this.
  6. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Posh Hotels.. In Ireland this week Ballyfin Hotel, nice

7. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Starts 17th not this Sunday as i thought

8. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Thanks for nothing ! Ruined my weekend,ill read the tv guide from now on.

meta lon likes this.
  9. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Watched another episode of Magnum PI - ok as far as it goes, but it's just too similar to Hawaii 5-0 to be watched at the same time.
    Ex Navy SEAL solving crimes against good looking people with a background of beautiful tropical scenery, complete with supporting cast crossovers? Yep, Steve McGarret already has that covered.

I'll no doubt watch more, but only as filler.

The Good Doctor has returned and is as good as ever. One of the best shows on at the moment.

The Grand Tour continues to entertain - yes, I know it's marmite telly and people love it or hate it, but if you think it's all middle aged men dicking about in cars just watch the segment about Jim Clark in this week's episode.

Looking forward to Endeavour returning on Sunday - I never really got into Morse, but this prequel is must see TV in our house.

10. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

I give up at the forth rail bridge - she's just too irritating for words, and like so many of these programs, why does the presenter have to spend so much time standing in front of the camera.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  11. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

Recently finished Earths Greatest Rivers (bbc2) Amizon, Mississippi and Nile. Wonderfully filmed and put together and a great example of how a voice over with no celebrity presenter standing in front of the camera for half the program is by far the best way.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2019
    SpokeyDokey and NorthernDave like this.
  12. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

New LG 55 inch

13. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Me too, I'll stop listening to her indoors :banghead:

SpokeyDokey and Adam4868 like this.
  14. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

the new series of endeavour...

welsh dragon and NorthernDave like this.
  15. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

+1. Excellent.

NorthernDave and roadrash like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice