What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I always enjoy anything with Toby Jones in it.... and 'Don't Forget The Driver' didn't disappoint last night.
Also, really enjoying The Victim.

Yes I was looking forward to "Don't Forget The Driver" Toby Jones is usually excellent. He is co writer for this series as well. Setting the scene in the first episode but lots going on and looking forward to the rest.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes I was looking forward to "Don't Forget The Driver" Toby Jones is usually excellent. He is co writer for this series as well. Setting the scene in the first episode but lots going on and looking forward to the rest.
Just caught this on iplayer after reading comments here, and based on my admiration for Toby Jones and - what an absolute gem. Pitch perfect. I've heard grumblings elsewhere from people expecting a comedy. Well, it's not a comedy. It has its funny moments, as does life, but it's not a comedy, it's life. Can't remember ever seeing ordinary, regular, everyday lives rendered more truly or movingly.

I'll be interested to see how the series pans out, and whether I'm still as OTT by the end, but as an episode one I thought it was stunning. There was one scene, around the 10.00-10.22 mark, that is just perfect. And there for no better reason. Chapeaux, Toby.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Watched 2 seasons of Line of Duty..... Ive already seen them :laugh:
Realised after 3 episodes of S1 but i think i only watched bits originally

Definitely not watched S3 or 4.

Lullabelle

Banana
Just watched Grand Designs the street, oh dear :sad:

All respect to anyone taking on a self build, getting exactly what you want but to be honest I really could not do it.

Salar

A fish out of water
Just watched Grand Designs the street, oh dear :sad:

I watched it too and last weeks episode.

What gets me is how they flout building regs and structural design.

Open sided staircases with no handrails, beams on poor bearings, no respect for H & S etc etc. I could go on.

There's been lots of examples on Grand Designs over the years.

Where's the local authority Building Inspector?

Lullabelle

Banana

Open sided staircases with no handrails, beams on poor bearings, no respect for H & S etc etc. I could go on.

I do worry about open sided staircases and also what look to be slippery stairs, non look safe. There must be someone over seeing what they are doing I assume.

I understand why people want to self-build and have exactly what they want but it is just a house, is it really worth the stress and debt?

Salar

A fish out of water
They seem to get away with it.

London seems to be the worst area for flouting the rules from what I've seen on Grand Designs, probably not enough Building Control staff.

There should be inspectors signing off the work, but there is nothing stopping people from removing the handrails once the property has been signed off.

(I do structural design work and have worked on a few "Grand Designs", " footballers houses" types of properties but I wouldn't self build!! Just not worth the hassle these days )

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana

I did feel sorry for the guy whose partner left him, but if they were having problems them why did they decide to self build?

Top Bottom