What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
That's on record. I'm watching Top Gear, which has, all of a sudden, become funny again.
Agreed. It's so much better now than its ever been.
I compare the old Clarkson cronies to the Men Behaving Badly series from years ago When they were young they could get away with being childish and were both funny to watch, but as they all got older, the banter and antics became cringe worthy.
Its good to see Top gear has finally got the balance right again with a group of presenters that work well together

That's on record. I'm watching Top Gear, which has, all of a sudden, become funny again.

Coincidentally, I saw a bit of it as well

Good grief, that VW is mental!!:eek:
Measuring 5G on braking!

But.... 12mile range
And... Pikes Peak is 12 miles
Was it trailered back down?, or run down on regenerative braking?

The logic of choosing an EV is flawless though, due to the altitude, & natural decrease in an internal combustion engines power

Agreed. It's so much better now than its ever been.
I compare the old Clarkson cronies to the Men Behaving Badly series from years ago When they were young they could get away with being childish and were both funny to watch, but as they all got older, the banter and antics became cringe worthy.
Its good to see Top gear has finally got the balance right again with a group of presenters that work well together
Personally I agree to a point
I like Flintoff, he's damned funny
His Chip Van road-trip, & the Australia travels were great

Harris has the skills, an up to date Tiff Needell??

The other one.... well......... no:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
It's not just because he's a Lancastrian (as Flintoff is too), I think he's trying to be another Clarkson, & it's not working

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Binge watching Better call Saul .. it's a really good watch
Gets a little hard in the middle but comes back strong in later series, it's just started again in the US

We watched a couple of The Split last night on iPlayer, strong UK cast looks like it might be very good

Smudge

Veteran
Love, death and robots on Netflix.
This collection of animation shorts, is truly excellent, both in the quality of the animation and the out of this world stories.
Its the weirdest and most captivating animation i've ever seen.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Now 70s. It's a station on Freeview that plays non-stop 1970's tracks. They stop broadcasting at 10pm, which is taking authenticity too far :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My latest Netflix binge watching addiction is Narcos. I'm immensely enjoying this, while finding it incredible how Escobar carried on causing massive amounts of death & destruction, while constantly evading capture.
I'm almost at the end of S2 set in the 90's, so his time must be almost up. Looking forward to seeing how S3 and then Narcos Mexico goes.

El Chapo is great also. Just finished 3 seasons.

An old episode of M*A*S*H

Many would consider it a comedy show, but they're only partially correct
M*A*S*H had a lot of tragic scenes, thought-provoking scenes

And some absolutely superb writing/acting, such as here;

Father Mulcahy ought to have been preparing his sermon, for the visiting Cardinal, but was in 'Post-Op' talking all night to a patient
After being driven to distraction, whilst trying to prepare the unit for the Cardinals visit
The patient who (was played by young Patrick Swayze!) had come in lightly injured with a buddy

'Buddy' was in a bad-way, & was taking a long time to come round

In the meantime, two of the main characters (Hawkeye & BJ) had found out that Swayze was in the early stages of Leukemia
They tried to persuade Swayze to go to Tokyo for treatment, but he refused to leave 'buddy' until he'd come tound
Hence this marvellous scene from Father Mulcahy, as he recounts his humbleness, after talking to Swayze

I've seen this many times over the past 40 years (on TV, & online), & I'll admit it still brings a lump to my throat

Maybe yours too, if you watch it in entirety, with my explanation in mind?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvLH22RSpaY

IMDB has this review
This is a solid performance by William Christopher as Father Mulcahy.
He finds out that a Cardinal is coming. It drives him into an absolute tizzy with fear that all those around him will let him down.
He goes around like a whirling dervish criticizing everyone.

While he is in this state, two young men are in danger. One has been badly wounded and is barely hanging on.
The other is waiting for him to wake up. His injuries are menial and so he spends his time at the side of his comrade.

However, when he volunteers blood, Hawkeye realizes that this man (played very well by a very young Patrick Swayze) has leukemia. In the early fifties, this was pretty much a death sentence. No treatments available.

What transpires is so sad and so full of the human spirit. The "sermon" delivered by Mulcahy is unforgettable.

Smudge

Veteran
El Chapo is great also. Just finished 3 seasons.

I started El Chapo about a week ago, but i'm only 2 or 3 episodes in. I found it hard to get into it like i did Narcos and Narcos Mexico, which i enjoyed a lot. So i've wandered off to watching other stuff.
After the subtitles in Narcos, which made the characters more authentic to me, the voice dubbing over in El Chapo made it seem less so. Foreign languages dubbed into English, are always an irritation to me.
I shall return to it at some point to give it another chance.

Top Bottom