What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Clarkson’s Farm.

I went off Clarkson completely when he was on Top Gear, but I’m quite enjoying this little series on Amazon.

I’ve never understood how farmers are able to make a living when you look at all their overheads, low margins and setbacks (bad weather etc.). However, after watching how Clarkson farms Diddly Squat I can safely say I still haven’t a clue.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive watched the whole series of Clarksons Farm this week. Just brilliant.

He starts off in typical fashion buying an enormous Lamborghini tractor, only to find that it is hugely impractical (although he won't admit it). We very much go on a journey with Clarkson and we see his genuine anger, joy, bewilderment, satisfaction, and by the end his genuine fondness and admiration for his employees.

And his employees are tv gold. Adviser Cheerful Charlie is the voice of doom, girlfriend Lisa is the voice of sanity, tractor driver Kaleb is absolutely hilarious and not afraid to tell Clarkson in no uncertain terms when hes messing it up. But best of all is Gerald, responsible for farm security, with an utterly unintelligible yokel accent yet clearly indispensible.

A wonderful touching moment during lockdown when Jeremy hears Gerald hasn't been well, so he visits his house and takes a sack of potatoes as a gift. The concern on Jezza's face when speaking to Mrs Geralds about his welfare is clearly not feigned.

Compelling viewing, interesting, funny, informative, the best tv in ages. I cannot recommend it enough, even if you're not a Jezza fan.

PS. Apparently the BBC turned him down when he touted the idea to them. Amazon jumped at the chance and its been a ratings hit.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Ive watched the whole series of Clarksons Farm this week. Just brilliant.

He starts off in typical fashion buying an enormous Lamborghini tractor, only to find that it is hugely impractical (although he won't admit it). We very much go on a journey with Clarkson and we see his genuine anger, joy, bewilderment, satisfaction, and by the end his genuine fondness and admiration for his employees.

And his employees are tv gold. Adviser Cheerful Charlie is the voice of doom, girlfriend Lisa is the voice of sanity, tractor driver Kaleb is absolutely hilarious and not afraid to tell Clarkson in no uncertain terms when hes messing it up. But best of all is Gerald, responsible for farm security, with an utterly unintelligible yokel accent yet clearly indispensible.

A wonderful touching moment during lockdown when Jeremy hears Gerald hasn't been well, so he visits his house and takes a sack of potatoes as a gift. The concern on Jezza's face when speaking to Mrs Geralds about his welfare is clearly not feigned.

Compelling viewing, interesting, funny, informative, the best tv in ages. I cannot recommend it enough, even if you're not a Jezza fan.
I've watched the first two episodes so far and it is funny. Gerald's speech is completely unintelligible!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Marksman (1987)... former hitman returns to Liverpool to investigate the murder of his young son. Notable for a pre Red Dwarf major role for Craig Charles, but other than that, absolute fecking pants. 1/10 :thumbsdown:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I enjoyed that show, mainly for its point of view and I find Karl Urban is good in most films/TV he does.
indeed he makes the show , i doubt it would be as good otherwise

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Finished Clarkson's Farm and have to say I thought it was excellent. The bits about sheep were pretty much spot on from my (limited) experience but I don't know about the arable stuff. Perhaps @mudsticks could comment?

yello

Dispatches From Elsewhere - I loved it but I suspect I'd be in the minority. It perhaps aspires to be a bit too 'Being John Malcovich' with its intended-to-confuse wackiness twinned with a story that perhaps gets a little too saccharin at times but never gets too gooey, but it's well intentioned and I fell for it. I'm a sucker for such stuff and love anything to attempts to be different. It's actually inspired by a real event/game (JeJune Institute) and that I must find out more about.

Little Fires Everywhere - promises a great deal (I'm half way through it) but some of the characterisation is leaving me unsure. I think some of the characters are not characters per se but an amalgam of attitudes from a given society - so it can feel a little 2 dimensionally cardboard and clumsy at times but I think that might be deliberate. The story at the heart of it is, I suspect, just starting to unravel. It could turn out to be a pretty ordinary melodrama with some awkward tilts at commentary on racism and society bolted on, but until I reach the end, I'm keeping my jury out.

Last edited:
Bingeing 'Guy Garvey:From the Vaults' series 1&2 on Sky Arts. Fantastic stuff ^_^. A real treat if you are a 50/60 something into your music and maybe saw some of the acts as a teen.

yello

Little Fires Everywhere - promises a great deal (I'm half way through it) ...

...and I gave up on it. The 'clunky dialogue' meter clicked over the limit for me.

I'm starting to get quite disillusioned by my pickiness with tv shows. I'm to the point where I don't trust recommendations (from whatever source) these days. I'll see a top 10 list somewhere and number 1 will be something I thought was a complete pile of poo, and this negates the entire list for me. I even treat reviews with suspicion these days. So it's trial and error; give something 10 minutes (yes, I can switch off that quickly!) then see if I can make it through the first episode, then a second, etc.

Every now and again, my faith is restored and I realise how captivating and engrossing good television can be. I'm currently looking for another gem (no, no recommendations please! ;) ) but in the meantime Lennie James' 'Save Me' is shaping up ok (episode 3)

Top Bottom