What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I've got a soft spot for that. I used to work away a lot and it seemed to be on one of the "repeats" channels aftwr work, but before going out for my tea, so I got quite into it. It was just simple entertainment without any pretension; never took itself too seriously, for example Colonel whatsissname saying "oh, another wooded planet" as all the alien planets obviously looked like a wood near the studio - a bit like 70s Doctor who always ending up in the same quarry; and it's got the lovely Ms Tapping too. Another gag was the two leads from Farscape joining the cast and commenting "have we met before?" The two spin offs weren't bad either

For the 200th episode (yes...200!!), they did a series of TV/movie spoof scenes .Story was that the guy from 'Wormhole Extreme' was writing a movie version & needed SG1 opinions on scenes, presented as little 'memory flashes' in the show. So cue some funny parodies including a send up of Star Trek and also Browder & Black sending up Farscape. Classic.

Other gems include O'Neill reassuring some the same guy from Wormhole Extreme, 'Nobody watches cable shows'...a dig at Stargate.
Also stepping out of the gate into yet another forest & exclaiming 'trees...trees, how green is the universe?'.

Gotta love Jack. When things go bad...I often say ' awww...crap' in my best Jack voice:okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Witcher (netflix).

The 1st three episodes I was thinking, Why am I watching this rubbish? ...then it picked up in the 4th so I'll stick with it.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
A Very English Scandal - tip top entertainment. Hugh Grant is great as a slimy MP, so is Ben Whishaw as his disgruntled lover. As good as anything ever produced by BBC.
5/5

Adam4868

Guru
A Very English Scandal - tip top entertainment. Hugh Grant is great as a slimy MP, so is Ben Whishaw as his disgruntled lover. As good as anything ever produced by BBC.
5/5
Agree was brilliant....pretty mad that it was even a scandal by todays standards.

I quite like dipping into it too, should have got a season 5 (in which apparently, Shran joins the crew as an advisor). Always liked the running gag about Dr Phlox almost getting his fingers bitten off by whatever was in that cage:laugh:.

Fun fact:
The moment the Enterprise shuttle emerges into the daylight in the opening credits with Scott Bakula's name on screen, that comes from the film of the unveiling ceremony at which ST creator Gene Roddenberry, Leonard Nimoy & other cast members were present in 1978 while they were shooting ST:The Motion Picture. According to Walter Koenig, when the shuttle appeared, the military band suddenly burst into the Star Trek theme. At that point, he realised how influential that TV show he made a decade before really was:okay::
View attachment 592135

Shran would have been excellent as a regular member, constantly winding up Soval^_^

As for the influence factor;
1. Nichelle Nicols was well quoted about being asked not to leave the show by Dr Martin Luther King
(from about 3.00, through to the end)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSq_UIuxba8

2. Likewise, Whoopi Goldberg watched the show, & shouted
"Mummy, there's a black lady on TV, & she's not a Maid!!"
She played Guinan, at the time of her big hits like Sister Act, rescheduling film-roles to play the character!)
See 'History' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinan_(Star_Trek)

4. Chekov & Sulu, to show that everything that caused wars/fear/hatred was long forgotten

"Fun Fact"............... Shades of Sheldon Cooper

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Heads up ! There's a nee season of "Inside No 9" Watched two so far and they are keeping up the standard. First was about a diamond heist, in the style of the Italian Comedia del Arte with Harlequino and Scarramouch as two of the various characters, with much breaking the fourth wall, combined with Tarrantino esque plot and violence. Next was about a creepy fan and a cynical author of a fantasy series with a disappointing final season. Brilliant stuff !

It's great, isn't it? Pemberton and Shearsmith are absolutely genius writers. I loved the latest one about the crime drama.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Shran would have been excellent as a regular member, constantly winding up Soval^_^

As for the influence factor;
1. Nichelle Nicols was well quoted about being asked not to leave the show by Dr Martin Luther King
(from about 3.00, through to the end)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSq_UIuxba8

2. Likewise, Whoopi Goldberg watched the show, & shouted
"Mummy, there's a black lady on TV, & she's not a Maid!!"
She played Guinan, at the time of her big hits like Sister Act, rescheduling film-roles to play the character!)
See 'History' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinan_(Star_Trek)

4. Chekov & Sulu, to show that everything that caused wars/fear/hatred was long forgotten

"Fun Fact"............... Shades of Sheldon Cooper

I think that's why 'Fun fact' is used on Youtube^_^.
I used to have an old acquaintance of mine, Richard Arnold, who sadly passed away back in January (his name is on the ST TNG credits as 'Research Consultant' but he worked in marketing/licensing). Richard once told me that when Whoopi visited the ST TNG sets, the original cast were doing ST5 at the time and guess who they ran into.....Nichelle, Whoopi's heroine on TV:okay:.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We're late discovers of "Misfits", originally a channel 4 series about a group of youngsters doing community service who acquire various special powers after a freak storm. Witty, clever, superb cast, very crude and very entertaining. They're not a Marvelesque group saving the world but just muddling through various scrapes in a totally irresponsible way.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Borrowed a DVD from Mr Cookiemonster's Mother (she's from Nottingham originally) and it's a BBC programme called 'To the Manor Born.'

Never heard of it and I've just watched a bit of it. Really good. :okay:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Watched "Time" on BBC iPlayer over the last couple of days, written by Jimmy McGovern. Gripping TV, possibly one of the best dramas I have watched over the last few years - riveting.

yello

I watched the first episode of 'Time' but must admit to being uncertain. It came across as almost cliched to me, in parts anyway. This distracted me from what was perhaps very good tele. Maybe I'm just too used to Jimmy McGovern themes??

On the other hand, 'Move to Heaven' left me with no such quandaries - I thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it brilliant in fact. I've only watched the first episode and that's set the scene for what could be an excellent series. I loved that it dared be slow and was moved by it. It reminded me of one of my favourite movies ('Still Life' with Eddie Marsan) in it's lingering shots and pace. Having read a synopsis of what's to come, I'm looking forward to seeing how it marries this slowness with the unravelling of story.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Just finished "Before We Die" on All4, it's a British remake of a scandi thriller but filmed in Bristol - great for location spotting and an exciting & fast-moving if very far fetched plot.

Top Bottom