What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Loved Vikings. Really got into it and I learned a lot. Who knew that the Vikings raided Paris ! Not me for sure.
Yes it’s amazing, there’s quite strong evidence that they even beat Christopher Columbus to the North American continent, and in the Hagia Sophia mosque in Istanbul Viking runes were found carved in the stonework, the Norse version of Halfdan was ere, :eek: the more things change, the more they stay the same

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yes it’s amazing, there’s quite strong evidence that they even beat Christopher Columbus to the North American continent, and in the Hagia Sophia mosque in Istanbul Viking runes were found carved in the stonework, the Norse version of Halfdan was ere, :eek: the more things change, the more they stay the same
It was in the news this week. Carbon dating of the wooden artefacts in Newfoundland shows the Vikings were there exactly 1,000 years ago. They used Iceland and Greenland as stopping points.

Oh yes I looked up the mosque bit too. Sadly too late for me to look for them when I was in Istanbul the other year - that would have been fascinating.

I guess the Vikings just didn't have the PR that Columbus must have had. Amazing adventurers.

yello

Just started Babylon Berlin.... my oath the English dub is awful! It's flat, monotone and completely distracts.

If you're going to watch it, I really do recommend you watch in the original language with subtitles. You might be surprised just how much difference it can make, certainly I was.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Them - not a bad take on horros of racism in the States during the upheaval of 50's. A black family escapes Jim Crow's deep south (is North Caroline deep south???) only to find out they might not exactly be welcome in the suburbs of LA. While it may seem similar to the work of Jordan Peel, it is IMHO much than overrated Get me out or Us. So far strong 3/5.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Outlaws is bloody brilliant!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm surprised by just how good it is.

I began watching SHOWTRIAL intending to watch it week-by-week to give some entertainment on a Sunday night but got gripped by it and have watched it all....except for the last part, which I'll watch tonight. I've found that to be a superb drama really getting under the skin.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm surprised by just how good it is.

I began watching SHOWTRIAL intending to watch it week-by-week to give some entertainment on a Sunday night but got gripped by it and have watched it all....except for the last part, which I'll watch tonight. I've found that to be a superb drama really getting under the skin.
Same here... but Stephen Marchant is quietly brilliant.

Got the first episode of Showtrial but am yet to watch it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Agree! Superb script, and the acting really is brilliant. Every character has different reasons and backstories, pressures or insecurities even the gangster villain types. No one is two dimensional. Particularly like nearly everyone having Bristol accents, and mellowed plausibly for their background rather than comedic. The older Caribbean lady still has a West Indies lilt under the Bristolian, and her slightly younger sister is a bit stronger on the Bristol. I assume this is attention to detail rather rather than lucky co-incidence. Funny and tense in equal measure. As an adoptive Bristolian it's quite good to see local landmarks, but also the locations actually join on to nearby places for the next shot too.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Stateless - story behind the exportation of Australian immigrant detention centres out of Australia. While at first it seems weird how it concentrates on "white" experience later it becomes obvious that was the right decision - not much was really done to improve the situation till extraordinary detention of Australian woman. Great ensemble cast, especially Sofie/Eva and Ameer. McNulty from the Wire makes for a great scum as as well. Ballroom scene, repeated throughout the show, is awesome in its awfulness. I liked the ending, which managed to somehow project hope through general misery.
4/5 :okay:

Top Bottom