What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Watched on iPlayer (on a friend's recommendation) a Storyville on Maiden - the first all-women entrant in the Whitbread round the world race. Fantastic. Quite sobering to see the extent of overt sexism, barely 20 years back, but really terrific to see this triumph of grit & determination over the odds. I was welling up at the end, and I'm not even a woman (or, as they kept referring to themselves, a 'girl').

Tomorrow evening, it'll be the Guy Martin In Japan

Not sure if it's a one-off, or a mini-series??? (just states episode 1)
Channel 4 @ 21:00

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/our-guy-in-japan

The old Master with the Lathe impressed me

The underground storage chambers, for storm water run-off amazed me:eek:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-flood-defences-global-warming-a8006416.html

lane

Veteran
The Canal boat diary on BBC 4 is enjoyable.

Yes this is very good. Much better than the ones with the showbiz couples. I have only seen the final two but looks like it started in Shardlow near me so will see if I can see the earlier ones on iPlayer.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Guy Martin: The worlds fastest tractor. All4. Recorded some time ago. Shaun Dooley's commentary. Argggggggggh!
The words dragged ouuuuuuuuuut. To try and increase the tensionnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Other than that, a multi million pound organisation, JCB, builds a machine that looks like a tractor and goes fast. Ho hum.
3/10

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just watched Andrew Marr, all three newspaper reviewers were female. They were also all blonde and had middle-class accents. If it was an attempt to increase diversity then it's failed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Jordskott... the Swedish crime/fantasy drama from a few years back. Never got round to watching series 2 so decided to binge watch series 1 again. Enjoying it as much the second time as i did the first.

Surprised the Martians never got their arses wupped in ep 1, seeing as Begbie was involved.
I'm surprised the martians didn't wupp their own arses the moment they tried to make a tripod walk :whistle:

Guy Martin: The worlds fastest tractor. All4. Recorded some time ago. Shaun Dooley's commentary. Argggggggggh!
The words dragged ouuuuuuuuuut. To try and increase the tensionnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Agreed, the narration was annoying

Other than that, a multi million pound organisation, JCB, builds a machine that looks like a tractor and goes fast. Ho hum.

A very Fast-Trac(tor) though!!.... 150+MPH
A lot of aerodynamic drag to overcome with that cab

On the same subject (titular person) I watched the 2nd Guy In Japan episode
Daughter now wants to go to a micro-Pig cafe..................

Watched part of this, on my meal-break at work, last night

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...walks-series-1-2-heptonstall-to-stoodley-pike

Very interesting, a part of the county that I love
One of our Brompton owning Consultants lives there, & gets the train to Dewsbury, or Wakefield, & rides from the station

The only query about it, is the fact that she arrived at Stoodley Pike, with only 25 minutes of daylight left
It didn't state how she got down
Did she
- wild camp
- have helpers/guides, with torches, to guider her down
- realise what she'd done, by walking solo, & filming herself, & call the local Mountain Rescue
(I'll assume not, for the 3rd, as there was also drone footage, which was possibly done by a 3rd party)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Finally got through the final episode of War Of The Worlds tonight. I thought it was a painfully boring adaptation.
Surprised the Martians never got their arses wupped in ep 1, seeing as Begbie was involved.
Couldn't agree more. Ep1 was a bit of a let down: not awful, but could've/should've been so much better, particularly with so much money having clearly been lavished on it. Ep2 felt a bit flatter, but since we've got this far... Ep3, definite 'there's an hour of my life I'm never getting back'. All the dramatic impact of a wet noodle, and some gobsmackingly bad lines. My own favourites being

"What was that?
It must have come out of the machine."

(Ya think?)

and

'...it doesn't wash when you are fighting for your life."

'it doesn't wash'? In Edwardian England? Hi think not.

No, a sadly wasted opportunity. As so often, ultimately down to a piss poor script. You can make a bad drama out of a good script, but you'll never make a good one out of a bad one.

Top Bottom