What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We've been watching "Thieves of the Forest" on Netflix. It set in the mid 18th century in Belgium and concerns a Robin Hood type character Jan der Lichte who is an army deserter who joins up with a gang of gypsies / outcasts in the woods, with a background of various other gangsters, corrupt Mayors, a police chief and others. It doesn't quite grab you, and I don't find myself liking many if the characters, yet I do find myself wanting to see the next episode to see what happens

So, a guarded, recommendation

JPBoothy

Veteran
We decided the kids are old enough now for some strongish language and binge watched Peter Kays Car Share with them today. By today's standards the language/references are nothing I suppose but we have always been quite strict on that front.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Citizens of Boomtown: The Story of the Boomtown Rats
Some of the claims were fanciful to say the least.

Did they really obtain a thousand dead rats from New York's sewerage department and send out one to each radio station with each copy of their first single? The public health implications would have been enormous. Perhaps this is what they meant when they said the Boomtown Rats had changed the world?

Did they really obtain a thousand dead rats from New York's sewerage department and send out one to each radio station with each copy of their first single? The public health implications would have been enormous. Perhaps this is what they meant when they said the Boomtown Rats had changed the world?
I'm fairly sure that Geldofs autobiography states that they seriously considered it, but decided against it

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Gangs of London - 6/10

I read a review of this, which sums it up better than I ever could:

While it’s titled Gangs of London, Sky Atlantic’s new and buzzy crime actioner may as well have been called “Grrr, Men”. It’s a unrelentingly butch series, as fixated on male brooding as it is discovering precisely what might happen if you smashed a pint glass into your enemy’s chin. It would also be a lot more fun if it didn’t downplay its own silliness.

Edited to take half a point off. I was actually bored by the end and only stubbornness kept me going. It also sets up a totally unnecessary sequel, which always annoys me.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm rewatching the series Haven. Quite nice overall, but the casting of the actor for The Big Baddie in the last series was questionable, my reaction on the first viewing was "Why!? Anyone but him!".

Dukes Of Hazzard
'Duke v Duke
' episode

Then last nights Batwoman
Interesting, & plot-twisting again
A teenage hacker who is doing it all, or the first incident to get back at her parents (for disowning her for coming out as a lesbian)
And, who during one of Alices schemes gets to find out who Batwoman is

A front cover of 'Catco' magazine for Batwoman, who comes out in the magazine as lesbian too
Then the end showed Beth (Kate/Batwomans sister) appearing, who
has Kate acting aggressively, believing it's Alice
It appears to be an 'alternate Earth' Beth...….

I'm just waiting to see Kevin Conroy appear as Bruce Wayne

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
If the Batman genre is your thing
Try Batman; The Animated Series, it has its own cult following
Very dark, in fact the style it was in was referred to as 'Dark Deco' (the buildings & vehicles)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Animated_Series

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJ3HJXxDwc

Harley Quinn was first created for this series!!!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nss0ghyCrm0

Having said the old Harley Quinn was better than the new, the recent Harley Quinn animation series is hilarious, although I have only watched clips on YouTube. My favourite character is Frank the plant. He is one of Poison Ivy's pot plants via The Little Shop of Horrors.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Dukes Of Hazzard
'Duke v Duke
' episode

Then last nights Batwoman
Interesting, & plot-twisting again
A teenage hacker who is doing it all, or the first incident to get back at her parents (for disowning her for coming out as a lesbian)
And, who during one of Alices schemes gets to find out who Batwoman is

A front cover of 'Catco' magazine for Batwoman, who comes out in the magazine as lesbian too
Then the end showed Beth (Kate/Batwomans sister) appearing, who
has Kate acting aggressively, believing it's Alice
It appears to be an 'alternate Earth' Beth...….

I'm just waiting to see Kevin Conroy appear as Bruce Wayne
Ruby Rose who plays Batwoman/Kate Kane has decided to leave the series so producers are looking to re-cast the role - article. It's a shame because she's been great as the character. I wonder who they will replace her with..? Here are the apparent suggestions.

Maybe, maybe not ... but it made a good story!

What a great programme! I was too young to appreciate that the Rats were anything more than a pop band (who happened to have some great tunes). I admit my ignorance of 70s Irish culture. I was aware of Geldof's later career (and personal ups-n-downs), so it was nice to see the big picture stitched together.

US producer: "Geldof was totally professional; turned up on time, did the work. But he drove me insane."

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks to whoever recommended Anne with an E on Netflix - tried it last night & it turned out to be one of those rare programmes we can both enjoy. :okay:

Top Bottom