What type of cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick54

Hi Folks,
I,m going to try cleats for the first time on my hybrid,any tips on what type is best and potentially east to use lol

Is there specific ones for road work and mountain bikes etc

As always any feedback appreciated

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
SPD and single (cleat-sided) pedals allowing to one to use a normal shoe/trainer on the 'flat' side.
ETA: Think you can google 'specific ones for road/MTB' yourself.

midlife

Guru
Yup, SPD popular. Its just finding the shoes. Shimano sizes are small and quite narrow. Maybe try a shop rather than online?

vickster

Legendary Member
SPD so you can walk normally off the bike (the shoes are generally a bit cheaper but still more hard wearing). You can wear any shoes on the road
Decathlon carry an ok range of shoes to try, as do Evans

Read the link posted above too. Is there a particular reason why you’re going the clipless route?

Gunk

Guru
Try Sports Direct, their Muddy Fox branded shoes are cheap as chips,I bought a pair of trainer style SPD shoes for £23 recently and they’re really comfortable and the quality is as good my old Specialized shoes. They’re all made in China these days so probably all come from the same factory.

Globalti

Legendary Member
One word of caution.... set the cleats so that when you're clipped in, your foot is in as close as possible to its natural posture. You can see that if you sit on a table with your feet dangling loose. If you cycle with your knee joints under a twisting force you will begin to suffer inner or outer knee pain very soon indeed.

Mike_P

Guru
Shimano do adapters to allow SPDs to be used on shoes with SPD-SL, the SH-SM41 being the best choice with rubber treads either side of the cleat so if you want road shoes you can still use SPDs unless you manage to find a road shoe with SPD fixings, scarce as rocking horse droppings usually. SPD cleats are available on two types, a single or multi release version. I struggle with the single release on my right foot so every pair of shoes has a single release cleat on the left shoe and a multi release cleat on the right shoe.

OP
OP
M

Mick54

Best of luck. What were the factors you took into account to go for the SPD-SL system rather than the SPDs which all posters above recommended?
Total humble appologies,senoir moment and not thinking and reading correctly,i got the spd-sl by mistake,memory these days aint too good,i have tried them and struggled to get my feet out,ill change them over asap to the spd cleats

Top Bottom