what tyres should I go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys,

I am due 2 new tyres for my road bike, my bikes a carrera virtuoso 2012 limited addition.
As im relatively new to road bikes im looking for a bit of advice on which tyres to use,
I use my bike for commuting and leisure, I also cycling in all kinds of weather so would like the tyres to grip the road.
Its also worth saying that im from glasgow so the roads are beond crap so need tyres that are up the the test!

It says on my tyres (23-622) 700 × 23c..

I am going to be made redundant soon so im really looking for a well priced and sturdy tyres.

Many thanks
Unfortunately Ive been there (redundancy) I got myself mitchelin Kyrlion Carbons they are not too dear given they grip well, roll well and last a long time (I got around 5000 miles out of the rear before it got 3 p'tures in a row and I decided to replace it). They are a bit hard to get though as they are discontinued and it was replaced with Mitch's successor Pro 4 Endurance and they seem even better and for £2 more (£26.99 last year) they are still a bargain IMO.

Should have read on you've settled on Durano+ :blush:

OP
OP
TheGlasgowCyclist
The durano+ look like they have been discounted :-(

Kookas

Über Member
I like my Gatorskins. Survived 1000 miles of Birmingham's roads, and then some, and they don't roll like bricks.

fabregas485

Sorry to sort of high jack the thread, but it seems a good place to post my question. I been looking at schwalbe as a good brand of tyres to get for my road bike. Would I be better with Durano plus or marathon plus, and would I be able to use either as my current tyres are 700c 23c

goody

Veteran
Marathon plus are more of a touring type tyre don't think they come in 23's Durano are more race slick type and lighter than the Marathon's. I've been commuting on Durano plus in London about 100 mile a week for the last two years without a problem.

OP
OP
TheGlasgowCyclist
Picked up 2 ultra gatorskin tyres today as I needed them urgently, took them out for a test run and got a puncture 5 minutes into the cycle, seriously just hoping that it was a fluke!

Kookas

Über Member
Picked up 2 ultra gatorskin tyres today as I needed them urgently, took them out for a test run and got a puncture 5 minutes into the cycle, seriously just hoping that it was a fluke!

;o what kind of puncture? I will admit I have had 3 punctures in the last week on mine, but one was a snakebite and the other two were patches failing. The tyre is pristine inside.

OP
OP
TheGlasgowCyclist
Dunno, I was so annoyed and stressed I just packed everything away till morning...
All I know is it felt like I hit something on the road, but upon inspection there was nothing on the road, and the tyre was flat within 2-3 seconds.,..weird one!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use 23 mm Continental Grand Prix Four Seasons on the glass-strewn mean streets of London every day. They seem pretty good after 3000 miles. I had a single puncture in the city about 10 months ago. If you want "bomb-proof", there really are no better tyres than Marathon + , but when I last looked, they only went down to 25 mm. I had pretensions of becoming a 23 mm roadie, and sniffed at them.

Kies

Dunno, I was so annoyed and stressed I just packed everything away till morning...
All I know is it felt like I hit something on the road, but upon inspection there was nothing on the road, and the tyre was flat within 2-3 seconds.,..weird one!

Sounds like a snakebite puncture. Had one once going over a raised drain cover. Try and keep your tyres pumped up quiet hard.

Top Bottom