What upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The point is that people on a "fun and friendly" forum don't like being responded to in a condescending manner and some posters style is anything but fun or friendly, wether they are right, partially right wrong or otherwise. It all comes across rather like the days of Black and Yellow or Dusty Bin, who I suspect is still here albeit in another guise and not the main protagonist in this.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

Hang on, you said a while back you had enough money to buy a Pinarello?
I did say that, and still have enough to buy two, that still stands, but I don't consider that "vast sums of money". That is enough to keep my family going if I'm unlucky enough to be injured while flying along at high speeds on my new (cheap) wheels. Which is why I put a disclaimer on it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The point is that people on a "fun and friendly" forum don't like being responded to in a condescending manner and some posters style is anything but fun or friendly, wether they are right, partially right wrong or otherwise. It all comes across rather like the days of Black and Yellow or Dusty Bin, who I suspect is still here albeit in another guise and not the main protagonist in this.
Good post,
I enjoy coming on here, participating, reading, learning, looking at the pictures, all good stuff, particularly when I'm bored, and in the most part good people. I'm sure yellow saddle is a very knowledgable chap and means well...........

outlash

also available in orange
I did say that, and still have enough to buy two, that still stands, but I don't consider that "vast sums of money". That is enough to keep my family going if I'm unlucky enough to be injured while flying along at high speeds on my new (cheap) wheels. Which is why I put a disclaimer on it.

So what you actually meant was: 'I have enough money to buy two Pinarellos, but that is money put away and only to be used in emergencies' not: 'I have enough disposable money to buy two Pinarellos' which was your inference. Correct?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So what you actually meant was: 'I have enough money to buy two Pinarellos, but that is money put away and only to be used in emergencies' not: 'I have enough disposable money to buy two Pinarellos' which was your inference. Correct?
Absolutely, I could, but I won't, ever, would be very selfish with a young family don't you think?

outlash

also available in orange
Whilst I agree, you're missing my point. You claimed you could buy them which infers that you have the money floating about, not money you have saved for a rainy day like many people do. That would of course, be thoughtless and stupid, but you know that ;). You can't claim 'to have the money' when you what you're actually saying is 'all the money I have could buy them'.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
There's not much to be gained in these weird slanging matches is there chaps?

Enjoy your bikes, upgrade what you fancy and leave gubbins about money/gains/whatever at the door eh?
Absolutely, deleted my post. End of story. Let's hope the mods clean up the rest of this thread.

AndyRM

XOXO
Absolutely, deleted my post. End of story. Let's hope the mods clean up the rest of this thread.

Wasn't a pop at you at all by the way. Just seems that sometimes these threads go wrong quickly when a perfectly innocent question is posed.

PS I reckon one Pinarello wouldn't be out of the question :okay:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Wasn't a pop at you at all by the way. Just seems that sometimes these threads go wrong quickly when a perfectly innocent question is posed.

PS I reckon one Pinarello wouldn't be out of the question :okay:
No I didn't think it was, but found myself getting sucked along and defending my position and then blurting out personal information, thankyou for pointing that out.
Yes I agree, we all had to start somewhere, and people should never ever be afraid to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.
Never say never on the Dogma, "one day we'll be millyonairs Rodney" :biggrin:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Buy what you like. That should be clear. But don't come and tell us you want to spend money to make you go faster and expect all to act like lap dogs and suggest "wheels." If I were to tell you that wheels will make you faster, I would be dishonest. If you want to go fast, get a training program, lose weight, build muscle in the right places, lose muscle in the wrong places, eat right, learn tactics and strategy, learn to ride in a peloton, race lots and become competitive. For anyone with potential, the latter would be a better strategy than throwing cash at the process.
Just reading through all this again, I know, I'm bored. How do you know what my training regime is, how much I weigh, what I eat, etc etc, a lot of assumptions there.
And you see a lot of pro road racers and time trialists bombing around on Tescos bikes don't you, of course they don't need lightweight kit do they?
Maybe just maybe some of us are less than 75 kg, pretty fit, train a bit, eat healthy, don't drink or smoke, participate in some local club races and actually aspire to be better. Buying some better kit from time to time is just part of the fun and may help our pace a little. Don't treat everyone as if they've just sat on a bike and can barely ride a couple of miles.

ayceejay

Guru
Nick: I'll have a go at steering your question in a different direction.
Your Willier is what is known as an 'entry level' bike and is a good way to enter the sport (not too obvious I hope) and a way to find out if you enjoy cycling without spending too much money. As you seem to enjoy it you are ready for the next step which I think we have all been through. Leaving your personal fitness level aside we come to improving your ride and the possibility of improvements from different tyres, saddle or wheels or a more expensive groupset and this I think is your question simply put.
My opinion is that none of these changes will significantly alter the ride quality or comfort or speed of your bike. My advice would be to upgrade the whole thing at some time when you have the money and continue to participate in this forum following links to and reading recommendations for bikes from CC'ers who have done what you are attempting.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Besides the real gains of having a new set of wheels, A nice set of tyres or wheels does normally improve the look of your bike. I have experience with all sorts of people when in comes to wheels. Some want lighter wheels to reduce the weight of the whole bike, not necessarily to go faster. Some might want wheels that make you feel the part.... maybe you cannot or you don't want to go fast but the wheels give you the feeling you need and it can be as simple as swamping a front wheel with cross pattern to one with radial pattern, does it make a difference? Who cares, if the rider feels better about his wheels then that is fine. It's a psychological advantage if you like that lots of people benefit from or are victims of (whichever way you want to look at it) Sometimes I wear clothes that make me feel like a new man and that is the same effect an upgrade has on some people. I remember that a new pair of trainers used to make me feel so much faster and yet I wasn't even competing at all :laugh:

Top Bottom