What upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Tyres and tubes.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Personally I would look at wheels next. You can always take them with you if you change bike. You need to consider what sort of riding you are doing.
Someone unfortunately will be along to say aero v lighter is all snake oil.

DRM

Guru
Wheels, however I would personally wear out the rims first as I am a tight so & so, then replace the wheels, other than that I would go for replacing any lower spec items that would make a noticeable improvement in performance, eg on my bike I intend to swap the tektro calipers for something like 105 ones along with better pads.

subaqua

What’s the point
Do you know what this used.to be a great forum. But now it just seems to many people are so up themselves. All I do is ask genuine questions and just get sarcastic replies.

The ones who provide great feedback Thank you.
The great eddy Merckx was the one who said don't buy upgrades ride up grades.

That said wheels n tyres is probably the best you could do . But you seem to have done that any ways.

zizou

Veteran
Depends on what the spec of your bike is plus your budget.

Generally wheels, however this is assuming you get on fine already with your current saddle. Saddle is always the first thing i replace on a new bike, its not really an upgrade though more of a preference, but a good, comfy saddle makes a huge difference to how much you enjoy a bike. Of course my recommendation here would be worthless because saddle fit is different from person to person.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Tyres and tubes first, then wheels. They make the biggest difference for the cash. After that, you're into diminishing returns upgrading anything else.

bpsmith

Veteran
I would have said wheels, as that was all needed on first bike. Second bike, I had to change the saddle, so I agree that it's most important. Just got lucky first time around.

As far as wheels are concerned, I definitely noticed a difference on the Zonda's when fitted to my Defy 1. Then compared to Fulcrum 7's that came on bike two. Defy now feels not quite so good with the 7's on compared to Zonda's.

Others will definitely disagree soon!

As far as aero is concerned, I don't have any experience, but am intrigued nonetheless. Perhaps others who can compare aero vs lightness can chime in?

A full cable swap is always a nice upgrade too, especially if done some decent mileage.

Upgraded brakes from Tektro to 105 on the Defy and its night and day in comparison, even with stock Shimano pads.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Fully understand about the sadle. I don't seem to have any issues with mine. Maybe if I tried another one then it might make a difference. Was thinking about wheels. I've also got sora spec gear around the rest of the bike.

If I went to 105 can I do it in stages? Like doing calipers first and then do the gearing or leavers. Is there a set route to upgrade?

Top Bottom