What upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you're happy with the current saddle, leave it.

You can do a groupset change in bits and pieces, but the new 105 is 11 speed, so you need to know if your current wheels can take an 11 speed cassette. If you're changing the wheels, most are now 11 speed compatible anyway.

It can be cheaper buying the groupset complete too.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Upgrade what ever you can afford at the time. if you are happy with your saddle stick with it. Wheels is the way to go.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Groups et upgrade would have to also include levers aswell yes?

If I bought new wheels now can i put my 9 speed on it until I upgrade and go 11?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Groups et upgrade would have to also include levers aswell yes?

If I bought new wheels now can i put my 9 speed on it until I upgrade and go 11?
Yes, you'd need the levers too. You can fit a 9 speed cassette to an 11 speed compatible wheel. They will come with a spacer so it fits properly.

annirak

Veteran
I've been contemplating something similar, though in my case, it's Claris, not Sora.

The problem I've found is that everything depends on the chain. The spacing of the cassette is the same for 7/8/9, but is different for 10 and 11. That means that when changing from 9 to 11 speed, you have to change the shifters, the cassette, and the chain at once. I can't tell if you have to change the crank set and front derailleur too.

By the looks of things, for the £350, I'd do 105 all at once.

crazyjoe101

Wheels are almost always the highest return upgrade.

Lightweight wheels will spin up faster and will feel more responsive on hills because of this. They are also lighter.
Aero wheels will offer reduced drag which you will probably not notice, they will also catch crosswinds a lot. Aero wheels are normally heavier and less responsive to acceleration, the only way around this is with a lot of money.
Other key aspects when choosing wheel include rigidity, spoke count, durability and rim profile.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
I think I will start with a set of wheels. Will start having a look to see what's out there and what I need to spend. Thank you for the advise.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Brake pads
Saddle (if required)
Tyres
Wheels
Everything else when it wears out.
If you're considering a different speed shifter set soon after buying a bike then it was the wrong bike in the first place, imho. Expensive upgrade and a hassle to replace shifters on road bikes!

gmw492

Veteran
I think I will start with a set of wheels. Will start having a look to see what's out there and what I need to spend. Thank you for the advise.
That's what I'm doing at the moment thought it would be easy but keep changing my mind on what wheelset to get 3 choices so I'm gonna have to take the plunge and choose very soon and stop stalling on them ,good luck

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I think we've all been touched by the "yellow saddle et all" at some point! It seems you need a physics degree and to list full justification (showing your calculations) if you want to buy anything!:notworthy:

Top Bottom