What was the first thing you ever drove?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stonepark

Über Member
Lamborghini,...........

Tractor!

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Lamborghini,...........

Tractor!

I have fond memories of a 1978 854 DT belonging to a neighbour which I often worked with in the past and it's later mid 1980s replacement (exact model escapes me at the moment).

The 854 DT was a strong, basic workhorse yet was in many ways quite advanced for it's era. Few engines have the bark of one of those old air-cooled Lamborghinis, they pulled well, were extremely easy to start even on the coldest morning and very fuel efficient. Great cab too (until it rusted away) and even had an adjustable steering column.:okay: Dreadful turning circle though but that was normal for '70s 4WD tractors.

It's difficult to understand how Ford and MF sold tractors in those days as the stuff from the Continent was usually far superior.

Brains

Legendary Member
A tractor.

I was about 5 or 6 and my brother would have been about 4.
The farmer (a relative) had left the keys in the ignition and it was in gear.
We were playing on it, started it up and drove through the back wall of the barn before it stalled.

I've not forgotten the bollocking we got, although my brother was too young to actually remember the incident it still comes up at family events.
(55 years later, and we still have not been forgiven.....)

classic33

Leg End Member
1964 Ford Anglia.......thats when I passed my test.
I remember the instructor gave me a pen embossed "you passed first time with the Birkenhead school of motoring"..
I then taught my Dad to drive in his brand new Ford Cortina. Within days of him passing his test the moaning old sod was telling me how to drive :wacko:
Did he get a pen off you when he passed first time?

Top Bottom