What we can or cannot now do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A thread for specific social events or activities you had planned but are now reconsidering after the latest virus advice.

I meet my elderly mother for lunch a few times a year, which involves a long car journey for me, and a shorter one for her and my older brother who drives her.

Mother is certainly in trap one for 'at risk', but she enjoys our occasional engagements.

We had one planned for next month, which would have gone ahead because we regard the risk/benefit equation as acceptable.

But there has now been official interference.

My view is my journey can hardly be considered essential, although every lunch could be the last one.

The lunches are beneficial to mother's health in terms of getting her out of the house, although she could - and does - lunch locally.

Just bashing on is an option, but none of us are keen on the idea of ignoring the restrictions to suit.

Should our planned lunch go ahead?

Is there something you had planned which has now turned into a matter of conscience?

classic33

Leg End Member
Not quite a matter of conscience, but if movement is curtailed, I'd miss regular ongoing medical treatment.

D

Deleted member 1258

Our Tuesday yoga class has been cancelled. :sad: Our Monday down the club went ahead as usual tonight but I'm sure it will be suspended at some point.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My dad's due to have an urgent medical test in 2 weeks - we're hoping it's not cancelled.

Son no. 2's got a check-up soon, as have I, and I'm presuming they will either be cancelled or done by phone.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wasn't really thinking about medical procedures because they would be excused from any going out/travel restrictions.

However, I suppose some tests and elective surgery is non-essential in that those things can be safely done at a later date with no adverse impact on the patient.

Slioch

Guru
We've got a friend who is getting married this Friday, and we've been invited to the evening "do".

So far we haven't been advised about it being cancelled or anything, but what a situation for them to be in. Do you cancel your wedding, or do you go ahead with it and run the risk of a lot of people not attending, and possibly also getting criticized for doing so ?
:sad:

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wasn't really thinking about medical procedures because they would be excused from any going out/travel restrictions.

However, I suppose some tests and elective surgery is non-essential in that those things can be safely done at a later date with no adverse impact on the patient.
I'd just as soon not go to the Hospital, filthy places. :cursing:

gbb

Legendary Member
Email from my wifes SEN school last night advising (government advice I gather)if you suffer from t1he following....
Heart condition
Asthma
Cancer, even if you are clear now.
High blood pressure
COPD
Etc etc et
You should not attend school , that may have read you should consider not attending,.

Half the children will probably not be there tomorrow, 25 % of the staff are off anyway and there will be more tomorrow , my wife suspects they will close one of the two sister schools and just run one...for 12 weeks apparently.

Top Bottom