What width for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Having just fish-tailed around some unsalted country lanes (even after deflating the tyres a bit) I began to wonder if my tyres are a tad too narrow for my winter ride. I'm using Schwable Lugano 23s on a Bluecross frame. Something with a bit more meat?

Kies

25 or 28 should be fine. Try going slower

I'm on 25c on my road bike. usually fine, take the corners slower and don't lean into them. brake on the straights, not the corner.... all the usual advise applies pretty much the same as driving in icy conditions - gently on the brakes, gentle on the acceleration, don't brake around corners...

23mm is fine just be a little more wary and lean less but that's the same for any width of tyre :thumbsup: FWIW I commute on 23mm tyre and my trainer bikes over the last few winters have had 23 and only on the occasions when I've had wider tyres have I had extreme slide outs, fortunately recovered each time, touch wood.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Try going slower
According to an on-line test I did yesterday, I am the sort of person who believes in 'everything in moderation. Including moderation'. :whistle: (I'm going to put an older wheetset back on the bike for the duration - the tyres are 28s.)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just swapped bikes the previous one was on 23's current one has 28's and there is a bit of difference .

must admit normally use 23's all year

Top Bottom