What will we be riding in 2112?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'll have been riding a cardboard coffin for many years by then. However the majority of riders will be on DFs, thanks to the UCI's dead hand on development.

There will be a few more recumbents and Velomobiles and fewer cars on the road* will encourage more cycling.

*Assuming we don't manage to ruin the climate to the point of human extinction (And I doubt that will happen.) The world's population will be smaller and richer so the number of cyclists will have grown and due to the expense of the remaining oil travel will be more local and fewer people will own a car, this is already happening.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think very much will change. Maybe changes in braking and shifting, by wire maybe. You might also see advances in stronger and lighter frame and componet materials but I believe a bike will look very much like it does today. We never saw more than a passing or minority interest in recumbants and the like in the past and I think things will continue pretty much the same vein as they are today.

Davidc

Guru
I don't think there will be any fundamental changes to bikes.

Puncture proof tyres must come. Puncture resistant have become good, but they still get them.

A few sensible changes like good hub gears at sensible prices. The NuVinci N360 continuously variable might take over when dérailleurs get to 25 speed cassettes with a triple at the front, or Rollhof ones might become affordable (ha ha).

Irrespective of UCI's decisions I can never see recumbents becoming very popular, but as private cars vanish there will be more of them, along with more trailers for passengers and goods.

The private car can't go on as a means of transport, but lorries, buses, taxis and other commercial motor vehicles will. If they drive automatically (systems are in advanced stages of development now) then I'd expect bicycles to be equipped with transponders, radar reflectors, and whatever else is needed to be detected by the guidance systems so as to avoid close passes, collisions, etc. collectively to be known as ESMIDSYS.

Cycle Chat 2112 will of course still have a forum for helmet debates!

All assuming that our civilisation can avoid collapse owing to pollution and warming for the next 100 years.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just think, if they are actually kept in good enough condition to survive, maybe, just maybe some BSOs will be antique collectors items by then!!
Also, do you think that drivers will still be bleating on about Road Tax?

I'll be safely tucked up in my cardboard coffin no doubt by then anyway, so, what do I care?

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Just think, if they are actually kept in good enough condition to survive, maybe, just maybe some BSOs will be antique collectors items by then!!
Also, do you think that drivers will still be bleating on about Road Tax?

I'll be safely tucked up in my cardboard coffin no doubt by then anyway, so, what do I care?
What drivers?

Oldspice

article-0-14DD440D000005DC-281_634x423.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...es-bicycle-pedals-saddle-powered-walking.html

Or how about a folding bike?

locust%20concept%20folding%20bicycle.jpg

How cool will you look counts?
bicycle4.jpg

Don't forget your helmet:whistle: (yeah! i said the 'H' word:tongue:)
bicycle-helmet-with-spikes.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What drivers?

Those who can still afford it, be their vehicles still powered by Oil, Leccy, Hydrogen, fairy dust or whatever else comes along.

That said, if they are hover cars then cyclists could have the ground all to themselves, the lucky sods.

byegad

Legendary Member
Recumbent sales are slowly rising and will continue to do so for older less than 100% fit cyclists and those fit cyclists interested in speed will buy a recumbent or Velomobile. Remember the average age of death is rising and will likely continue to rise so we will see people like myself with a range of chronic health issues still fit enough to ride and looking for comfort. However uprights have so many utility advantages, parking off road, storage that they'll still be in the majority.

I expect electric assist will become much more common too. Extending the range of those older cyclists and giving a reliable commute that extra zip in hilly areas.

Recycle

Über Member
However the majority of riders will be on DFs, thanks to the UCI's dead hand on development.
You're probably right which is unfortunate. Who know what opportunity new materials like graphene (200 times the strength of steel) will create. I'll start with a bike lock made from that thanks:smile: .

I know that the UCI wants to create a level playing field between athletes but there's something wrong with a policy that bans something innovative from competition because it proves to be better.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
You're probably right which is unfortunate. Who know what opportunity new materials like graphene (200 times the strength of steel) will create. I'll start with a bike lock made from that thanks:smile: .

I know that the UCI wants to create a level playing field between athletes but there's something wrong with a policy that bans something innovative from competition because it proves to be better.
I'll have one of those graphene locks, too, thanks!

Graham

I reckon natural resources will be so scare that our grand kids will look back with amazement at the time when grandad (us) would get a carbon fibre bike for £1,500 to go with the carbon fibre already sitting in the garage (I don't have one). They will fix and mend everything coz new stuff will be mind-boggling expensive. Watch any apocolyptic future-based film for solid proof ^_^

Top Bottom