What winds you up about cyclists you may see when driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
Cyclists who seem unable to look over there shoulder and keep the bike in a straight line.

Milzy

Guru
Cyclists that go on cycling holidays and ride with 50 strangers for 100 miles who don't even speak English.

GaGa

Grown men cycling on the pavement. It's not a rational objection as in fairness they can't go very fast as they're usually on full sus mountain bikes with flat tyres and the saddle very low. What I really want to tell 'em is "raise your saddle and pump the bloody tyres up"
Not much chance of cycling on the pavement around here ( St Helen's Merseyside ) the pavements are full of cars.

Cyclists riding against traffic. Probably just a local thing here, but about once a week I'll see a cyclist, on the road and riding against traffic. As a driver it's a pain, as another cyclist it's bloody dangerous.

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't recall being wound up by cyclists when driving, but as a pedestrian I do get a bit annoyed by fast moving pavement cyclists.
A local port gets visits from cruise ships in summer and one company (Aida since you asked) carries bicycles which they loan out to their passengers for use on a guided tour, guided I think by a comedian from the onboard entertainment staff. They usually pass near my home, a group of maybe 40 or 50 cyclists and EVERY time they are in single file nose to tail, making overtaking almost impossible due to the width and bendy nature of the road. I've never actually encountered them when driving or cycling, but it's not difficult to imagine drivers becoming irritated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-15_1-9-8.png
    upload_2017-10-15_1-9-8.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Zimbob

Über Member
I can't recall being wound up by cyclists when driving, but as a pedestrian I do get a bit annoyed by fast moving pavement cyclists.
A local port gets visits from cruise ships in summer and one company (Aida since you asked) carries bicycles which they loan out to their passengers for use on a guided tour, guided I think by a comedian from the onboard entertainment staff. They usually pass near my home, a group of maybe 40 or 50 cyclists and EVERY time they are in single file nose to tail, making overtaking almost impossible due to the width and bendy nature of the road. I've never actually encountered them when driving or cycling, but it's not difficult to imagine drivers becoming irritated.

Aha, you must stay near my g/f, we quite often encounter them when a ship's in :smile:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
The one thing cyclists do that winds me up as a driver is wave me through.

I ride many miles a year, I drive a HGV many, many more miles a year. I am based in the South West with thousands of miles of rural roads, these roads are twisty, undulating and can be narrow.

I know cyclist think they are helping when they furiously try to wave me through but you have absolutely no idea of the length of my vehicle, it's weight, whether it's loaded and heavy or empty and light (relatively). You as a cyclist have absolutely no idea as to the acceleration my vehicle is capable of nor the length of time/distance it will take for my vehicle to pass you

So I understand you are trying to be friendly by waving me through but honestly I'll be the one to decide when it is safe to pass thank you very much.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I ride many miles a year, I drive a HGV many, many more miles a year. I am based in the South West with thousands of miles of rural roads, these roads are twisty, undulating and can be narrow.

I know cyclist think they are helping when they furiously try to wave me through but you have absolutely no idea of the length of my vehicle, it's weight, whether it's loaded and heavy or empty and light (relitively). You as a cyclist have absolutely no idea as to the acceleration my vehicle is capable of nor the length of time/distance it will take for my vehicle to pass you

So I understand you are trying to be friendly by waving me through but honestly I'll be the one to decide when it is safe to pass thank you very much.
Ditto for Car/Van/Lorry drivers waving me through when I'm cycling, just obey the 'rules of the road' like I do and we'll all know where we stand. :cursing:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru

I know cyclist think they are helping when they furiously try to wave me through but you have absolutely no idea of the length of my vehicle, it's weight, whether it's loaded and heavy or empty and light (relatively). You as a cyclist have absolutely no idea as to the acceleration my vehicle is capable of nor the length of time/distance it will take for my vehicle to pass you

Opppps I'm guilty of doing just that ,to drivers behind me. As an ex lorry driver myself I do take into consideration of the road situation, before I wave anybody pass.I can understand your point though that in some instances a cyclist may not understand that a truck driver has to take into consideration of his vehicle being fully loaded and very slow on accelerating as well a the shear size , so overtaking needs to be done with alot more care than in a car . I think from now on ,I will take on your good advice and stop waving traffic past. You've made a point there buddy.

Top Bottom