What winds you up about cyclists you may see when driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Team branded lycra. That's one thing I detest.
IMG_5145.JPG

These days I can go half a day, see loads of team branded lycra clad tw#ts and not one of the f###ers will wave back or say "hi" back.

Yeah, right on comrade.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
How to put this. Cycling ain't a fraternity, there is no we. No us. No community. The only thing we have in common is a mode of transport.

I guess the clue is in your name Gregry. But then I come from a community where it is more common than not to greet strangers with courtesy, which I guess is getting less and less common.

It's a shame, because friendliness and courtesy costs nothing, and benefits both giver and receiver (usually).

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Team branded lycra. That's one thing I detest.
Another is more to do with how many there are nowadays.
20 years ago, I could ride all day and see a few fellow cyclists. We'd great each other.
These days I can go half a day, see loads of team branded lycra clad tw#ts and not one of the f###ers will wave back or say "hi" back. They'll push past to get to the lights first. They'll overtake within inches. They're motorists with bikes. Bas###ds. Hate them.
Done venting. ^_^

Do you mean team replica lycra, or team lycra (Just figuring out whether to be offended), we ride in team lycra which denotes our team (the one my son races for and I coach for), apart from anything because it's £65 for a good quality bib shorts and jersey!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I guess the clue is in your name Gregry. But then I come from a community where it is more common than not to greet strangers with courtesy, which I guess is getting less and less common.

It's a shame, because friendliness and courtesy costs nothing, and benefits both giver and receiver (usually).
What the chuff has greeting strangers, and sheltering widows and orphans, and being kind to animals, got to do with the price of fish?

There is no cycling community. Fact. No more than there is a shoeist community or a busist community.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
But there used to be. Of sorts. Cyclists used to greet each other.
In the same way that motor caravan owners used to flash their lights at each other. I don't mean doggers!
It was an acknowledgement that they were in a minority. A special group of like minded people.
Then peanuts joined the group's and brought their bad manners with them.
You'd have had to have been there to understand. :tongue:

Cronorider

Cylists who wear flapping clothing into a strong headwind in the rain and are getting blown all over the road as you are trying to overtake them. Put on some effing Lycra and a close fitting wind vest FFS!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
RLJ's, and those who defend RLJ'ing. I've found through many conversations that if there's one thing that winds otherwise calm and measured motorists up, it's that, and rightly so.

And it's not rare like some here will make out, at the train station near my house the commuting cyclists will go through the Pelican crossing on red virtually every time at rush hour, merrily weaving in and out of the pedestrians. They've a train to London to catch, so it's apparently okay.

It's ten seconds out of your day, there is no excuse not to stop.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
But there used to be. Of sorts. Cyclists used to greet each other.
In the same way that motor caravan owners used to flash their lights at each other. I don't mean doggers!
It was an acknowledgement that they were in a minority. A special group of like minded people.
Then peanuts joined the group's and brought their bad manners with them.
You'd have had to have been there to understand. :tongue:

I'm not sure about the 'minority' point and the 'used to' part of your post.

IMO communities are part and parcel of most people's lives whether it be the team and sport that you follow, the things you participate in or the gaggle of parents at the school gate you see every day.

There's a shared bond there somewhere.

Confusion can arise though when members of communities think other members should behave a prescriptive ways simply because they are part of a specific community. People simply don't all act the same.

Some cyclists wave, some don't. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Maybe the non-waver is absorbed with a thorny problem, maybe they are riding to blot out the crud in their life and don't want disturbing, maybe they just want some peace and quite and don't want their space invaded. It's not necessarily bad manners not to wave etc.

I think ASDA had a red cap policy at their HQ some time back which an individual donned when they did not want to be disturbed. Maybe we need something like that for cyclists to indicate that they don't want to be waved at - obviously not a red helmet though. :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
For Christ's sake. Poor old @johnnyb47 asked....

I got wondering , what winds you up about a cyclist you may see when driving.

Not what winds you up about a cyclist that doesn't wave back at you when you're cycling, or what winds you up about the "community" of cycling, or anything else. It's about the road behaviour as witnessed from a car. The waving thing has 2763 other threads devoted to it. Keep your waving shoot discussion to those, please.

Brandane

Legendary Member
For Christ's sake. Poor old @johnnyb47 asked....

Not what winds you up about a cyclist that doesn't wave back at you when you're cycling, or what winds you up about the "community" of cycling, or anything else. It's about the road behaviour as witnessed from a car. The waving thing has 2763 other threads devoted to it. Keep your waving shoot discussion to those, please.
OK then ......... When I am out DRIVING; I get wound up when I see cyclists waving at each other. Nobbers.

Top Bottom