What would Cycle Chat do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Hi there, some of you may have seen or even commented on another post of mine a few weeks back reference buying a new bike in the next few months.

I did much browsing, and I'm pretty much 'set' on one of the new Orbea Orca's. Most likely the M30 or M40, but irrelevant for now.

I'm set for the simple reason of the integrated cables running not only through the frame, but through the handlebars too. A few months ago I thought to myself my next next bike would have this feature, so if I can get this now, then there's no reason for me to change the frame in the next few years. I plan to have this bike for a good amount of time, hence also looking for disc brakes.

Using my height and in-seam, the Orbea website suggest me as being smack bang in the middle of the 51 and 53 frame, but suggests a 51 frame. My current bike(Decathlon Triban 5) is a 54 frame, Orbea's are out of stock and if I were to buy one last time i looked, a 51 would be delivered sometime in April, whereas a 53 sometime in August.

I've never had a bike fit, and I have contacted a local Orbea dealer who said they wouldn't be able to do a 'generic' fit in order to see which size Orbea would fit me better. I thought not, but thought it was worth a try.

Below are the measurements for the Orbea's in 51/53 Frame, and my current 54 frame Triban. I'm concerned of ordering a 51, waiting 4 months and then it not being the right size. I've adjusted the Triban over the years and it's always felt ok...I don't know exactly what I'm looking for though I do get a bit of lower back ache after a few hours in the saddle. That said I have completed numerous 100+ mile rides and have recently added aero bars.

What would you do?

082dcf731a503a12b68bd9cc237eee3f.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's the stem lengths. Looking at frae sizes, the top tube is the same on the 51 orbea, and you can put the seat post up a few cm more, but the reach is different, which means you'll have to change the ste on both.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're asking what size to go for I'd opt for the 54 but you'll have to wait until August. I always prefer to go larger than smaller but I'm not you. There are plenty of other bikes which offer integrated cabling and similar specs so I should try to find an alternative, unless you're happy to wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think fit is all about top tube length, the 51cm Orbea has the same size top tube as your current Triban 5. If you have no issues and are comfortable on your Triban then you need the 51cm Orbea.
Out of interest, how tall are you?

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

What's the stem lengths. Looking at frae sizes, the top tube is the same on the 51 orbea, and you can put the seat post up a few cm more, but the reach is different, which means you'll have to change the ste on both.

Various stem lengths available to choose when ordering. Between 80-120mm I believe.

If you're asking what size to go for I'd opt for the 54 but you'll have to wait until August. There are plenty of other bikes which offer integrated cabling so I should try to find an alternative.

I didn't find any that have internal cables right from the shifters; or at least none for less than £3k.

I think fit is all about top tube length, the 51cm Orbea has the same size top tube as your current Triban 5. If you have no issues and are comfortable on your Triban then you need the 51cm Orbea.
Out of interest, how tall are you?

170cm, and thanks for this point :smile:

Twilkes

Guru
I'd go for the 51given the similarity between what you have now and the fact that you get back ache with the Triban...

I would second that based on the lower back pain thing - I used to jack my saddle back and added a 130mm stem because I was tall and thought I needed it, but moving the saddle forward and going back to a 110mm stem erased any kind of back pain almost immediately. A good cycling position is a lot more compact than some people (i.e. me) realise.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re 170cm, the 51cm (With the same TT as the Triban). It’ll be a more aggressive position though with the shorter head tube which may be what you want

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

If you’re 170cm, the 51cm (With the same TT as the Triban). It’ll be a more aggressive position though with the shorter head tube which may be what you want
Currently I cycle for enjoyment and fitness, so I don’t think an aggressive position is what i’m looking for. That said I do like to go quickly wherever possible :tongue: Unfortunateli think most mike builders are way behinds demand at the moment so I don’t really have any options to try before I buy :sad:certainly not Orbea

Mike_P

Guru
51 I reckon as well, if the 5mm less of the head tube makes the handlebars a touch too low fit an angle adjustable stem and maybe such would address your backache issue as the handlebars could be raised further.

Top Bottom