What would you call a Lesbian Plumbing business?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disgruntled Goat said:
Sorry to be a miserable liberal do-gooder, but if similar disparaging comments were made towards gay men or black people, this board would be up in arms.

Are you paid to take offence on behalf of other people, or is it more of a hobby?

Zoiders

"Gushers"?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
Colin, Glyn Hughes says pretty much the same as you about Hebden Bridge in Millstone Grit. He lived there too didn't he?

Apart from the bit about female plumbers.

Is the place worth a visit? It's on the train line from where I'm moving to and might make a day trip - train out, ride back?
I'd not heard of that book - I'll have to buy a copy.

I think the place is worth visiting. I visited friends here in the late 70s, and then again when I was a student in Manchester in the mid 80s. I liked it so much, I decided to settle here.

Where are you moving to? If it's somewhere like Rochdale, you'd end up riding a lot of busy roads. It might be better to get a return ticket and do a loop round here - I'd be happy to either accompany you or plot a route for you. If you are into hill walking, there are some great walks round here too.

The town gets very busy with tourists at weekends and bank holidays and Thursday is also fairly busy because it is market day. If you don't like crowds, try and pick another day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Arch said:
I know nothing of Hebden Bridge
I'm quite surprised by that since it is easy to get to by train from York and the town is well worth a visit. From time to time we (BikeRadar/CycleChat forum members) have little gatherings round here and you'd be welcome to join us. We usually go and do a fairly strenuous bike ride, but we also met up for a walk and lunch at a local cafe last year.

Arch said:
It wouldn't have been my first port of call if I was looking for a lesbian. Although now I know, I'll know where to look if I need one.
I can see that it might be useful information, should the need arise!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Disgruntled Goat said:
Sorry to be a miserable liberal do-gooder, but if similar disparaging comments were made towards gay men or black people, this board would be up in arms.

My job means I work with quite a few lesbians and I find they tend to be very thoughtful, considerate, humorous and intelligent. I have yet to meet any 'Millie Tant' types.

So let's think twice before we spout off eh? (No pun intended)

Although, I had to laugh at FF's ''Minge Drinking' comment. Class.B)

If you're laughing cruelly and mockingly at any group then I think your comments would be fair enough but I suspect that there's nothing on here which the average lesbian could get offended at i.e. it's OK when you laugh with people as opposed to at them. I detect no malice, just excruciating punning.

Maz

Guru
Question:
What was that no-jobs-grim-up-north style song (early 90s?) with the talking voiceover citing the names of depressed towns, lyrics something like "...Hull, Macclesfield, Hebdon Bridge..."?

Andy in Sig said:
If you're laughing cruelly and mockingly at any group then I think your comments would be fair enough but I suspect that there's nothing on here which the average lesbian could get offended at i.e. it's OK when you laugh with people as opposed to at them. I detect no malice, just excruciating punning.

Part of equal treatment means that you are no more "off limits" when it comes to jokes than any other group.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Andy in Sig said:
I've got nothing against lesbians and that's just the way they want to keep it B)!

Top Bottom