What would you call a Lesbian Plumbing business?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
I'd not heard of that book - I'll have to buy a copy.

I can lend you my copy if you want Colin. It may take a couple of weeks to find it though.

It would from Oldham so maybe a ride over, camp out, spend a day exploring and ride back jobbie. A guided tour would be great :ohmy:.

I haven't looked on a map where "the Bridge" is - seeing your location always made me think of the book.

postman

Legendary Member
Helped a family out a few weeks ago.After a call from our church.My mate and me did some wallpapering and emulsion painting.Gave them a fun invoice.Named Bodgitt and Scarper Decorators they loved it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
I can lend you my copy if you want Colin. It may take a couple of weeks to find it though.

It would from Oldham so maybe a ride over, camp out, spend a day exploring and ride back jobbie. A guided tour would be great :biggrin:.

I haven't looked on a map where "the Bridge" is - seeing your location always made me think of the book.
That's very nice of you. We'll have to sort something out some time.

The quickest way by bike to HB from Oldham is Shaw, Newhey, Milnrow, Hollingworth Lake, Littleborough, Todmorden, HB. There are much nicer, longer, hillier routes though.

I got lost on my first ride to Saddleworth and took a left at Denshaw instead of a right, and I ended up in Oldham in the dark on a Friday night when the drunks were about. That put me right off cycling into Oldham!

From time to time I ride to Shaw on the fringes of Oldham - HB, Mytholmroyd, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Hollingworth Lake, Milnrow, Newhey, Shaw, Dog Hill...

Then over Saddleworth Moor, or Buckstones, eventually ending up in Ripponden. From there, home via Sowerby Bridge and the A646, back over Blackstone Edge and down through Cragg Vale, or even cross country via the network of hilly lanes between Ripponden and Mytholmroyd.

postman said:
Helped a family out a few weeks ago.After a call from our church.My mate and me did some wallpapering and emulsion painting.Gave them a fun invoice.Named Bodgitt and Scarper Decorators they loved it.
Dear Sir,
I write on behalf of my clients Barry Bodgitt and Alfred Scarper esq.
They are deeply offended by the misuse of their name in a humorous context as they have spent the formative years of their trade conveying a sense of integrity in the way that their shoddy work is executed. Please desist forthwith from being a good sport - there will be action taken (along with your best cutlery) the next time my charges are in your parish.
I remain yours,
obediently
P. Stephens
:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
ColinJ said:
I'm quite surprised by that since it is easy to get to by train from York and the town is well worth a visit. From time to time we (BikeRadar/CycleChat forum members) have little gatherings round here and you'd be welcome to join us. We usually go and do a fairly strenuous bike ride, but we also met up for a walk and lunch at a local cafe last year.

Yeah, it's sad, I can be pretty lazy about getting out and about. I'll have to put Hebden Bridge on my list of places to visit when I have more money for train tickets.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I think it's a great name. :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued by how Hebden Bridge got a large lesbian population though. How does a thing like that happen? And while I know nothing of Hebden Bridge, I have to say it wouldn't have been my first port of call if I was looking for a lesbian. Although now I know, I'll know where to look if I need one.

Dunno, probably something in the water. :thumbsdown:

spire

To the point
ColinJ said:
a local female plumber has started up a company of Women Plumbers.

Doesn't this break Equal Opportunity (sex discrimination) employment legislation?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
spire said:
Doesn't this break Equal Opportunity (sex discrimination) employment legislation?
I'm sure Patrick could tell you the answer to that, but it ought to! If you can't advertise "No gays" then you shouldn't be able to say "Women only", "Gays only" whatever.

Even if they didn't shortlist only women applicants, there'd be nothing to stop the business interviewing 20 men and finding that they were all unsuitable for one reason or another (overqualified for the job - had too many testicles perhaps ;)?).

I've often wondered about Women-only swimming sessions at pools that refuse to hold Men-only sessions. I can see the argument that men generally don't mind being ogled by women, but surely there are some religions that would ban men from swimming with women?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd be all for men having men-only sessions or companies - if they really felt that the presence of women intimidated them or something.

There's no doubt some men can be patronising towards women in certain lines of work (building trades, motor repairs etc) where they might not be to men - on the assumption that a man would see through any hogwash. Although as manual skills like that get rarer, I suspect plenty of clueless men could get the wool pulled over their eyes too...

Top Bottom