What would you have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Since the local Lidl (less than a mile away) opened about 6 years ago, I've mostly used the Brommie - easy and convenient to wheel round, and I never buy more than I can carry! No member of staff has complained, and so many other customers have admired it, sometimes been treated to a demo, and occasionally been so impressed that they assured me they'd be buying one, that I really ought to be claiming commission from Brompton.
Apart from that, when I've been there on an upright, I've nearly always used a D-lock - maybe 2 or 3 times a cable lock, but never for long.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not wanting to leave my bikes unattended limits my utility cycling, which is a pity.

The quality of bike is irrelevant, to the ignorant thief it merely represents a wrap or two of cocaine.

I'm more inclined to leave a cheap bike locked for a short time, but only because the possible loss to me is less, not because I think the cheap bike is less likely to be stolen.

Tim Hall

I've left my bike unlocked outside of a supermarket before now. Waitrose, Horley. I was meeting his Leggship, @User10571 and Steph with a view to scoping out a coffee stop for the FNRTTC. Rock up, lean bike against Sheffield stand, saunter into shop, meet the others in the cafe, saunter out. Explain to User10571 "it's my manor" and we all cycle off.

Harold Shand is my role model.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd have gone home and got the D lock.
FWIW, Sainsburys is the only place I have been shouted at by a 'security' guard for wheeling my Brompton around. Nowhere else cares.
I once got 'chased' by an overweight security guy in Sainsburys when I stopped by on my way home from work to buy a bottle of Single Malt. I saw the guy begin following me as I travelled the length of the store to get to the booze section but there was no way he was going to catch up, he called out but I had headphones on (as 'earmuffs cos it was winter) and I went down the aisle, grabbed the bottle I wanted then carried on to the other end of the aisle turned and made my way back for the tills (deliberately walking to the till nearest the door that was in use) by the time he'd caught up the till girl had scanned the bottle in and I was about to give her my money as he said "You can't bring a bike in ere" I just removed my headphone as the girl gave me my change and said "what", he repeated what he'd told me so I replied " Oh. I'd better go then" grinned at the girl and said "I bet that's the most exercise he's done for a bit". Mind you It is a big 'superstore'.

mustang1

Guru
If those are the only two choices, i would have risked it.

Alternatively, first i would attempt to take the bike into the store.

Or bother idea, lock the bike outside but just take the front wheel into the store.

Nah, sod all that, i would have just locked it outside and taken a risk.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've left my bike unlocked outside a big supermarket once after forgetting my lock and not wanting to cycle the three miles home to get it and three miles back to the shop. It was dark, the shop was quiet and I only wanted a few things. I parked the bike on the back of the second full trolley bay rather than in the cycle parking, used a luggage strap to tie it to the trolley bay's metalwork, hooked a bungee between stay and spokes and set the shifters to throw the chain. It was still there when I returned and I remembered to reset the shifters and unhook the bungee before riding!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You di did good imo @User46386.
After my bike got stolen from my work, I am not confident in cable locks anymore, it takes seconds to cut them with a cable cutter, even the Kryptonite ones like I had.
LBS showed me how easy it is.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I saw a woman do that in Lidl today. It had never occurred to me to try that. I didn't see anybody complaining, but the store was not very busy at the time. It probably wouldn't go down well when it is crowded.
When I used to work for Deliveroo, I very quickly learnt which eating establishments were happy for you to take your bike inside and which would try and get you sacked if you tried it. I took my bike in a chip shop the other day and they didn't care less. I wouldn't try it in a supermarket though!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Just out of interest what would you have done in this situation?, I went to the supermarket on my bike and realized when I opened my saddlebag that I had left my decent Abus Granite D lock at home. I just had the cheap cable lock that I use for the front wheel.
Would you have gone home and got the decent lock? or risked it with the cable lock. The bike is expensive it was a grand and the supermarket is not in a great area.
I definitely would have gone home for the good lock. I have had a bike nicked when I used only a cable lock. In fact, I try to avoid locking my bike up anywhere if I can help it. If I have to, I lock both wheels and the frame and take everything off. Even then I'm not happy. I'm not sure there are many locks that completely thief-resistant.

Freds Dad

Veteran
If I go on ride through Knutsford I usually stop at Waitrose for a free coffee and always take my bike inside. The staff aren't bothered when I leave it in the corner.

View attachment 349384
I would just walk to the supermarket and leave bike at home safe.
Could always be "an auld wifie" and get a trolley.
They even come with stair climber wheels and built in seats :ohmy:

...There is a cycling version - the Bike Hod

cadda2a311776395c301047c26ce4527.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
... but honestly it's such a faff (also have to remove the lights, Garmin, pump, etc as well - and then put them all back on) that I normally just walk down after my ride.
Sounds like an impractical bike. My lights are bolted on, GPS is in my pocket or the bag, pump etc is in the bag. I roll up, lock up (one D, one alarmed cable) and leave it.

Top Bottom