What would you have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Freds Dad

Veteran
Free coffees are now only if you do some shopping first - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2017/03/waitrose-ends-free-coffee-and-tea-perk

It's daft: I used to get it before shopping because who wants to sit drinking coffee while their chilled goods get warm?

I now buy a pastry for £1 so its still a good deal.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's not true. I've had a security guard at the big tescos near you watch my bike while securing a pain au raisin for my friend "who is recovering from surgery".
You couldn't walk it around tho. They even refused to let me take my bike into the petrol station to get a pint of milk once, miserable buggers

robjh

Legendary Member
It would all depend on my assessment of the risk at that particular location, and which bike I had. Unless it seemed like a particularly dodgy location I suspect I would have used the cable lock, but there are other places where I use a D-lock and the cable lock (and some local places where I don't lock it at all). Only you can make that decision.

Levo-Lon

Guru
i took my bike lock to work in my van..it weighs more than the bike !!!
as for the supermarket ....id struggle to leave a bike with a cheap lock anywhere unless im sat under 10 yards away ,i dont trust anyone i dont know when it comes to my bike

U

User10571

I've left my bike unlocked outside of a supermarket before now. Waitrose, Horley. I was meeting his Leggship, @User10571 and Steph with a view to scoping out a coffee stop for the FNRTTC. Rock up, lean bike against Sheffield stand, saunter into shop, meet the others in the cafe, saunter out. Explain to User10571 "it's my manor" and we all cycle off.

Harold Shand is my role model.
Love it :smile:

'I'm a lunnduner, and a businessman......'

Last edited by a moderator:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I literally can't replace my bike if some lower than pond scum thieving pos steals it so despite owning a perfectly good sold secure gold chain lock and backup chain lock, it gets left nowhere.
Can't ride a can of beans home.
However, I'd have gone home and got the D lock as you did.

Lozz360

Veteran
You di did good imo @User46386.
After my bike got stolen from my work, I am not confident in cable locks anymore, it takes seconds to cut them with a cable cutter, even the Kryptonite ones like I had.
LBS showed me how easy it is.
You don't even have to cut a cable lock. My pub bike was stolen when the cable lock was just pulled apart. It was a cheap lock though. Lesson learnt and all that.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Never mind what the supermarket's official policy is, it's actually down to how the security guy at the gate feels when you approach. I forgot my lock at Tescos and one guy let me bring the bike inside and stash it behind his desk. A few months later, a humourless security man was spouting all kinds of rules at me.

Edit: When Tescos wouldn't let me bring it inside, and the only alternative was a £5 cable lock which I happened to have, I hopped on the bike and came back a mile and a half later with the D lock. Riding the bike was a pleasure, not a chore, even if shopping wasn't.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You don't even have to cut a cable lock. My pub bike was stolen when the cable lock was just pulled apart. It was a cheap lock though. Lesson learnt and all that.
I know someone who had a borrowed bike stolen when the borrowed cable lock was pulled apart. When we found the lock on Half-odds's site to see what it was, they rated it 3 out of 10 security :eek: it's not like it was light enough to be regarded as a cafe lock so why the hell do they sell those? I suppose giving it away with a bike means they might sell another bike... :thumbsdown:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Sounds like an impractical bike. My lights are bolted on, GPS is in my pocket or the bag, pump etc is in the bag. I roll up, lock up (one D, one alarmed cable) and leave it.
It's usually daylight when I'm shopping on the bike... i leave all that stuff at home so only have the saddle bag to remove.

I've got a chunky looking lock which is a deterrent from everything but biggish bolt croppers or an angle grinder. The other deterrent is my old P7 with its rigid forks and caliper brakes looks like a BSO to the average thief so I doubt they'd bother unless really desperate... and they'd still need biggish bolt croppers.

It defeats the object of having a bike if I can't take it shopping.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I presume they don't want you taking your bike in because it may be wet and muddy and take up space. Yet they are quite happy to allow mobility scooters, prams and those huge double pushchairs.....

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just out of interest what would you have done in this situation?, I went to the supermarket on my bike and realized when I opened my saddlebag that I had left my decent Abus Granite D lock at home. I just had the cheap cable lock that I use for the front wheel.
Would you have gone home and got the decent lock? or risked it with the cable lock. The bike is expensive it was a grand and the supermarket is not in a great area.

Hang about a bit till a friendly, lock-toting cyclist rolls along and you should be able to get both crossbars secured. Synchronise leaving times, i.e., don't get shackled to a shelf-stacker's ride.

Top Bottom