What you having for Christmas dinner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Traditional Christmas lunch for us.........

Screenshot_20171213-142839.png

Been having Sausage, Egg & Chips on Christmas Day for the past 20 odd years.
Saves on all the faffing around and we enjoy it.
We go for hand cut chips, rare breed eggs and wild boar, or venison, sausages.:okay:

slowwww

Veteran
At the risk of (no, actually the certainty of) sounding poncey, we have a free-range Norfolk Black turkey on order from our fabulous local Butcher.

On Christmas Eve I will remove both breasts from the Turkey, and cook the rest to make both stock for the following day's gravy and the kid's favourite Turkey Mulligatawny from the meat which will go in the freezer. The breasts will be brined overnight, and then one will spend 2 hours in my smoker over hickory chips, with both then cooked in the sous vide. Finally finishing in the frying pan to brown the skin.

A load of processes but the output will be scrummy, and we have 18 for Christmas dinner and so it's worth the effort!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Traditional Christmas lunch for us.........

View attachment 387124

Been having Sausage, Egg & Chips on Christmas Day for the past 20 odd years.
Saves on all the faffing around and we enjoy it.
We go for hand cut chips, rare breed eggs and wild boar, or venison, sausages.:okay:

Sounds like an excellent idea.

I have been trying convince Mrs @BoldonLad to do similar for the past 30 years, without success. We have now moved on to the situation where, each year, we are invited to one of the daughter's houses to eat. It does mean less effort, but, no choice of what to have!

Personally, I hate Christmas, and would rather go away from it all, preferably to somewhere warm.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sounds like an excellent idea.

I have been trying convince Mrs @BoldonLad to do similar for the past 30 years, without success. We have now moved on to the situation where, each year, we are invited to one of the daughter's houses to eat. It does mean less effort, but, no choice of what to have!

Personally, I hate Christmas, and would rather go away from it all, preferably to somewhere warm.
My late Mother in Law came to ours for Christmas a few years ago.
She thought we were joking when we said we had Sausage, Egg & Chips. We kept reassuring her that we were telling the truth, but she insisted that we must be pulling her leg and she was joking with everyone that, 'I'm having S, E & C at Christmas, ha, ha!'
Her face was a picture when it was served up.:laugh:
Mind you, she did enjoy it and came again the following year.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I 100% agree. I can't see any reason for December and January to exist in the UK other than to stop November bumping into February, and I think those two months are pretty hard to justify too! :laugh:

If I had my way (i.e the cash to do it!) I would decamp to the Costa Blanca with my bike for 3 or 4 months every year.

Benidorm weather 13th December.gif

PS It isn't just a question of winter days there being sunnier and warmer - there also about 2 hours more daylight in which to enjoy the sunlight and warmth!

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I 100% agree. I can't see any reason for December and January to exist in the UK other than to stop November bumping into February, and I think those two months are pretty hard to justify too! :laugh:

If I had my way (i.e the cash to do it!) I would decamp to the Costa Blanca with my bike for 3 or 4 months every year.

View attachment 387127

Me too! but, I cannot get Mrs @BoldonLad to leave "the family".

We do normally decamp in January, until end April, to Spain / South France, in Motorhome, with bicycles. I am continually trying to wear her down to leave in November!

One day.

Julia9054

Guru

View attachment 387127
Let's all go.
A friend of mine took early retirement two years ago and moved to Spain. He has immersed himself in local village life, joined the local band and runs bird watching tours. He sent some pictures of him and some friends having lunch last week outside under an orange tree. Trying not to be jealous as I am sat in my living room with the log burner on, a blanket over my knees marking exam papers (well, messing around on here whilst ignoring some exam papers)

Top Bottom