What3Words Going Mainstream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They will if you attempt to make it compatible with w3w, quite apart from threats about “passing off” for use of a similar name.
If it is a vaguely similar idea, they will use their dodgy-looking patents to shut you down. How much do you have to spend on lawyers to prove dodgy-looking means invalid?

And w3w isn't suitable for emergencies anyway, unless you want to send mountain rescue to the wrong mountain if they don't hear an 's' on the end of a word: https://cybergibbons.com/security-2/why-what3words-is-not-suitable-for-safety-critical-applications/

keithmac

Guru
That's a ridiculous argument.

No more ridiculous than the argument against W3W.

I'm sure we have to have a subscription to download maps from OS, that subscription is not FOC.

Why should W3W not gain any income for their work?.

Takes less than a minute to convert a W3W address to Coordinates.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No more ridiculous than the argument against W3W.

I'm sure we have to have a subscription to download maps from OS, that subscription is not FOC.

Why should W3W not gain any income for their work?.

Takes less than a minute to convert a W3W address to Coordinates.

You have one minute to convert this into OS Grid reference. Go!

”consultancy.invention.conceptions”

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You need to change something to bring it into UK. The operator misheard the address. Try again.
It's a strange point you are trying to make.

Would the operator have heard an OS grid reference any more clearly?

Would the person ringing the operator have known their OS grid reference location anyway?

It seems like you are simply arguing for the sake of argument.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Show your workings and "I typed into a calculator" scores zero! (Wow, it's like when I used to teach...)
Why would I need to show my workings?

keithmac

Guru
Sorry, took 30 seconds including googling their own free converter..

Couldn't have made it any easier if they tried..

Screenshot_20210726-171851_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Sorry, took 30 seconds including googling their own free converter..

Couldn't have made it any easier if they tried..

Apparently it's the wrong answer because the operator miss heard one of the words.

Now, please add up the following.

1,271 +2,876 whilst bearing in mind that one or both of those numbers has been typed incorrectly.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Funny thing, numbers. Each of them sounds almost entirely distinct (although in aviation they change four to fower, five to fife, and nine to niner), so that even if the quality of transmission is poor, they can still be correctly inferred.
Funny thing, phonetic alphabet. It's literally designed so that you cannot mishear.

Funny thing, hesitant.reticent.president. It's farking useless.

P.S. 4,147. Mental arithmetic. Who needs converters and calculators when your encoding system is intrinsically meaningful?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's a strange point you are trying to make.

Would the operator have heard an OS grid reference any more clearly?

Would the person ringing the operator have known their OS grid reference location anyway?

It seems like you are simply arguing for the sake of argument.

Errors in grid references leads to small errors on the map. You do at least have an easy way of working out what the error was, and you’ll be in roughly the right area. With W3W that’s near impossible as you have ably demonstrated.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Errors in grid references leads to small errors on the map. You do at least have an easy way of working out what the error was, and you’ll be in roughly the right area. With W3W that’s near impossible as you have ably demonstrated.
You posted up 3 words and asked for a grid reference.

I supplied the correct grid reference for those 3 words.

You are simply arguing for arguments sake.

Top Bottom