What3Words Going Mainstream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The local emergency services have been pushing W3W in the farming community recently and the plural thing has been raised.

However, nobody in South Australia or Brazil is going to be calling Bideford Fire Brigade so those fears were quickly assuaged.
But calls for help have been made, and answered from the UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/09/british-family-rescued-navy-falklands

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If I ask Google Maps for a bike route from Land's End to John O'Groats, it sends me along the A30, the A38, and a series of unrideable canal towpaths... so maybe not the most flattering of comparisons. ;)

It's a tricky one for a general navigation tool like Google Maps to offer up the best cycling route.

It doesn't know what type of bike you've got or what kind of rider you are.

Where I am (North Devon), it offers me three routes for my commute, one of them being the A39 during rush hour which I would never even consider. The route I take (the shortest) would destroy a road bike within a week (lots of mud, gravel and very poor surfaces).

I suppose over time and as they gather more data, the options could be expanded so that you could specify bike type, ability and fitness?

Still, it's a million times better than tracing out a route in the local paperback A to Z.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I was a member of The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) as a Coastguard until 14 years ago.

The MCA monitors emergency radio channels and will either respond or help to co-ordinate marine rescue wherever it happens in the world.

The link you posted is not related in any way to the What3Words issue of a mispronunciation,misspelling or misinterpretation of a word.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If anyone here has worked in IT, they'll understand this thread very well indeed. The frustration that the person on the phone doesn't understand you, but to you it's easy!
I spent six months working the IT help desk of a London Borough back in 1995 when most people I dealt with didn't even know where the power button was on their desktop.

Did my frickin head in.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was a member of The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) as a Coastguard until 14 years ago.

The MCA monitors emergency radio channels and will either respond or help to co-ordinate marine rescue wherever it happens in the world.

The link you posted is not related in any way to the What3Words issue of a mispronunciation,misspelling or misinterpretation of a word.
Just an example of a call for help, from way outside the country, being answered.

swansonj

Guru
Latitude/longitude and OS Grid references are free and, because their construction is public domain, will remain so for ever. If one supplier tries to charge me to get it, I can switch to another.

W3W is not public domain. It is operated by a commercial concern whose interest is in making money not in providing a public service. The assiduous way they protect their product from becoming public domain confirms that they intend to operate commercially.

The serious concern is that if they can succeed in becoming the de facto geolocation app, if they can embed themselves to the point where we've all become dependent on them, they can then start charging us all - and we will have acquiesced in privatising something (geolocation) that ought to be a communal resource.

classic33

Leg End Member
Latitude/longitude and OS Grid references are free and, because their construction is public domain, will remain so for ever. If one supplier tries to charge me to get it, I can switch to another.

W3W is not public domain. It is operated by a commercial concern whose interest is in making money not in providing a public service. The assiduous way they protect their product from becoming public domain confirms that they intend to operate commercially.

The serious concern is that if they can succeed in becoming the de facto geolocation app, if they can embed themselves to the point where we've all become dependent on them, they can then start charging us all - and we will have acquiesced in privatising something (geolocation) that ought to be a communal resource.
It's taken them eight years to get where they are, a name most have heard of.
There's too many other ways of getting your location.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I spent six months working the IT help desk of a London Borough back in 1995 when most people I dealt with didn't even know where the power button was on their desktop.

Did my frickin head in.

We had PCs where the power button was right next to the disk eject button, and we used floppy disks a lot back then. After losing work by an accidental switch off, most of us sellotaped a plastic cup over the power button

Top Bottom