What's a good thing to eat whilst riding for energy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mralexrides

I do a long ride every Sunday and last Sunday I lead my group the whole way because they had a big night out and were hungover. I pushed to hard early and didn't eat anything so half an hour in I bonked and got very slow. Just wondering what's an easy food to eat. I can just about get my water bottle out to drink so I doubt I will be able to unwrap anything. Maybe just add sugar to my water bottle?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I do a long ride every Sunday and last Sunday I lead my group the whole way because they had a big night out and were hungover. I pushed to hard early and didn't eat anything so half an hour in I bonked and got very slow. Just wondering what's an easy food to eat. I can just about get my water bottle out to drink so I doubt I will be able to unwrap anything. Maybe just add sugar to my water bottle?
Tub of this to add to your water and a couple of emergency gels if you don’t think you can manage proper food.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-energy-drink-powder-22kg-1

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
DIY energy drink...

I use Maltodextrin on rides longer than about 40 miles - 50-60 g of powder per 750 mL bottle of drink. I mix 2/3 water with 1/3 OJ to add fructose (a complementary energy source) and flavour. Sometimes I squeeze some lemon in too, which adds a nice tang. On long, hot, all-day rides I often add a small pinch of salt to each bottle to make up for sweat losses.

I suffered from the dreaded bonk several times before I started this regime. It is very rare now unless I forget to drink often enough, which occasionally happens on very hilly rides where there are not a lot of flat sections to drink in.

Together with the odd snack or cafe stop, 2 bottles would pretty much last me 100 km, 3 would last 100 miles, and 4 would do me for 200 kms. It is very rare these days for me to ride further than that but if I did I would add 1 bottle per 50 extra kms.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Maybe I was just tired we usually stop half way and I did well after an energy gell and a 15 min rest. Maybe I was just trying too hard and gassed out.

Kajjal

Guru
It depends on what suits your body. I tend to use muesli bars or shortbread as they work for me. Losing power after 30 mins suggests a lack of fuel before riding and does depend where you were riding.

postman

Legendary Member
We are all different,I start the day with porridge and a dollop of honey.Water bottle and a bottle of sports fluid,idea given to me by one of our own,dark chocolate,even jelly babies.

Top Bottom