What's a "light steel frame" ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I promise that l am not trying to be amusing , l would just like to have a rough idea of what would be regarded as "light weight" when it comes to steel frames (including steel forks). Also l am not referring to very modern stuff more the early eighties through nineties ?
I don't have any preference as to country of manufacture or the maker for that matter ! And "size maters" so l am told (modesty prevails) so lets say medium sized :whistle:

Stompier

Do you mean weight or tube type? If you mean tube type, then generally something made from one of the higher-end tube sets from the likes of Reynolds, Columbus or Tange.

fossala

Guru
A frame from the 80's will be lugged, these are heavy and the lugs/braze-ons picked will vary the weight more than the tubeset.

Saying that most decent frames that I have had in 53/55cm weigh between 1500/1650g and around 600g for the fork. You can get a lugged frame in that sort of size down to 1400g.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Whole bike under 20 lbs
The only whole bike l have that comes anywhere near is my Look 243 Neuron which weighs (incl. pedals) 9.2 kg.
I am interested to see if l can find a nice steel frame and then build it up to be roughly the same as the Look but without having to break the bank for a Neuron frame !

si_c

Guru
Until recently I had a 1972 Peugeot road bike which weighed in at about 10kg including pedals - it wasn't anything fancy basic lugged frame, not Reynolds or anything.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Here we have an ultra modern answer but l suspect at a stratospheric price ....https://www.bikeradar.com/news/worlds-lightest-steel-road-bike/

fossala

Guru
I have a 6.6kg steel track bike with front and rear brakes so it shouldn't be that hard. Getting a light bike isn't just about the frame, every component choice has to be light, 100g here and there adds up really quickly.

Edit: The bike climbs lovely but my 7.5kg carbon track frame decends so much better. I prefer to ride the carbon jobbie, I think it's too light.

Last edited:

Stompier

Here we have an ultra modern answer but l suspect at a stratospheric price ....https://www.bikeradar.com/news/worlds-lightest-steel-road-bike/

The weight of that bike is more about component and finishing kit choice, rather than how light the frame is. If you want a light, classic frame then steel is probably the wrong place to look. Look for a Vitus 992 or a bonded carbon-tubed Alan. Koga-Miyata and the early Spec Allez and Giant Cadex are also worth seeking out.

Any frame made from a butted tubeset would be classed as lightweight. Not every tube would necessarily be butted.
The early versions of Reynolds 853 were beer can thin and can be crushed fairly easily but built up into very lightweight frames.
My traditional 531Super Tourist bike is comparable in weight to a midrange factory aluminium hybrid.

netman

Veteran
You can always reference it against what the pros were winning on... credit: https://felixwong.com/2010/11/tour-de-france-bicycles-historical-bike-weights/

1575290450714.png

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The weight of that bike is more about component and finishing kit choice, rather than how light the frame is. If you want a light, classic frame then steel is probably the wrong place to look. Look for a Vitus 992 or a bonded carbon-tubed Alan. Koga-Miyata and the early Spec Allez and Giant Cadex are also worth seeking out.
I have a Vitus 992 already and it is light right enough , plus it rides like a dream !
I appreciate that saving weight on components is fundamental but surely you could wipe out any benefit by installing them on a frame which is a single kg. heavier than it has to be.

Top Bottom