What's a "light steel frame" ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The benchmark weight for a 531DB or 531C bare frame is 4 1/2 lb. Anything that weight or less would be a "light steel frame", in my opinion.

You can build a 4 1/2 lb frame into a sub-19lb bike (excluding pedals) if you use a carbon fork, Shimano 105 or similar, and reasonable finishing kit. One retrograde step towards the end of steel's dominance in racing, as regards weight, was STI shifters - they are much heavier than DT shifters. Carbon frames helped offset this!

Stompier

One retrograde step towards the end of steel's dominance in racing, as regards weight, was STI shifters - they are much heavier than DT shifters. Carbon frames helped offset this!
The performance benefits of sti far outweighed any weight penalty though.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The benchmark weight for a 531DB or 531C bare frame is 4 1/2 lb. Anything that weight or less would be a "light steel frame", in my opinion.

You can build a 4 1/2 lb frame into a sub-19lb bike (excluding pedals) if you use a carbon fork, Shimano 105 or similar, and reasonable finishing kit. One retrograde step towards the end of steel's dominance in racing, as regards weight, was STI shifters - they are much heavier than DT shifters. Carbon frames helped offset this!
Is that frame and forks or frame only ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@BalkanExpress two great finds

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Another in 653, what this is doing in the Loire I have no idea:sad:

It is 54 ct so may be a fraction big

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1710504435.htm/
Another in 653, what this is doing in the Loire I have no idea:sad:

It is 54 ct so may be a fraction big

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1710504435.htm/
Those are two really great finds BalkanExpress, the Harry Hall is the same size as my Coppi so l know thats not a problem . Poor old chap lost in the Loire maybe he would like a home in the Lot ?
And the Pug ! well what a find and l love the colour. Someone has pulled out on the deal so the frame is boxed and ready to go . I'll have a coffee and decide what to do ^_^

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Those are two really great finds BalkanExpress, the Harry Hall is the same size as my Coppi so l know thats not a problem . Poor old chap lost in the Loire maybe he would like a home in the Lot ?
And the Pug ! well what a find and l love the colour. Someone has pulled out on the deal so the frame is boxed and ready to go . I'll have a coffee and decide what to do ^_^
Drawn a line under that one , the frame is sold :sad:

Top Bottom