What's a "light steel frame" ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
But most riders don't race and aren't in bunch sprints needing to change gears. Not shifting your hands becomes a performance disadvantage at long distances. It's a good thing to move your hands around the bars. So if you're not racing you mostly get the disadvantages and not a lot from the advantages.
And you should always be careful not to overdo things or you might well end up like this :
78757464_10156378438481504_2294068974847000576_n.jpg

mustang1

Guru
Here we have an ultra modern answer but l suspect at a stratospheric price ....https://www.bikeradar.com/news/worlds-lightest-steel-road-bike/
You can probably get the world's lightest iron bike for much cheaper.

Stompier

Nice frame and Cromor is a decent tubeset.

What is your objective with all of these frames? Do you just buy anything vintage for the hell of it, or is there some logic behind it?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Nice frame and Cromor is a decent tubeset.

What is your objective with all of these frames? Do you just buy anything vintage for the hell of it, or is there some logic behind it?
I guess l am a bit of a magpie .....you know, attracted to shiny objects !
Seriously , l don't buy everything l see, the majority of bikes l have are different Vitus models.
The Olmo would be a project that would most probably be sold on eventually !

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some of those late 80s/early 90s Colnagos (with rainbow paintjobs, funny-shaped tubes, dripping with chrome) weighed a ton. Not that that would put off most people!

Someone I know has got one about 23" in size with chromed lugs & forks. Sort of yellowy-gold all-over colour, IIRC - not rainbow. There's nothing heavy about it though. I remember picking up the frameset one day, just the F & F with headset and BB installed, and thinking "blimey, that's lighter than either of my 531 frames" Made of some sort of Columbus steel, don't know which though. The square taper BB was also incredibly smooth and free running. Whatever was in there wasn't cheap, must have had very well machined & ground bearing surfaces.

Top Bottom