What's a "light steel frame" ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Kromo was, I believe, a bit lighter than 531DB. I have a similar size late 40s frame of exactly the same weight which I suspect is Kromo. Mine has a 26.8 post.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Kromo was, I believe, a bit lighter than 531DB. I have a similar size late 40s frame of exactly the same weight which I suspect is Kromo. Mine has a 26.8 post.
Thanks, that's helpful & interesting information - maybe the seatpost is 26.8mm too.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I was looking at a Columbus chart today detailing butting and tubeset weights: http://equusbicycle.com/bike/columbus/columbuschart.htm

Curiosity killed the cat - I finally got round to weighing the old frame I have: painted frame is 1875g/ 4.13 pounds, painted fork is 695g/ 1.53 pounds. That's for dimensions of a 22 inch top tube (centre to centre) and 22inch seat tube (centre to top), built mid to late 1950s (possibly early 60s) in London, and the seat post size seems to be 27.0mm

By any measure that is a very low weight for steel. I have only one full-Reynolds throughout frame & forks (the others are a mix of Reynolds and hi-tensile), and that is my rather unusual 23" Ian May tourer, which weighs just a fraction over 7 lbs when totally stripped of parts. The tubing for that is 531ST though, which is significantly thicker walled than the most racing-oriented Reynolds tubesets. The bare weights quoted above of 5.68 lbs is almost in 753 territory, although if @avecReynolds531 is right about it's age, then it can't be 753 as it predates it's introduction by over a decade at least.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
By any measure that is a very low weight for steel. I have only one full-Reynolds throughout frame & forks (the others are a mix of Reynolds and hi-tensile), and that is my rather unusual 23" Ian May tourer, which weighs just a fraction over 7 lbs when totally stripped of parts. The tubing for that is 531ST though, which is significantly thicker walled than the most racing-oriented Reynolds tubesets. The bare weights quoted above of 5.68 lbs is almost in 753 territory, although if @avecReynolds531 is right about it's age, then it can't be 753 as it predates it's introduction by over a decade at least.

Thanks for the 531ST context - that's useful information.
It's interesting that Rogerzilla's late 40s frame weighs exactly the same & suspecting the tubing is Accles and Pollock Kromo (post 91).
The lugs on my frame are very finely filed and thin, and the pencil stays twig like at the dropouts - I'm not sure how much weight loss those will account for. The thread about it is here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-frame-waiting-for-a-build.263912/
I'll spend some weekend time learning about Accles and Pollock.

Last edited:

Shreds

My 1983 Reynolds 531c with Campag Record/Super Record, is still beautifully light and weighs in just under 20lbs.

Yes the choice of components can make a huge difference (my Giant Cadex is CF, but the components are rubbish and heavy. The ride is also ‘dead’ in comparison).

On top of all this, the quality and experience plus weight of the rider must fundamentally be added into the mix. I once recall an experienced rider turning up and doing a 10 mile time trial and an amazing time, that beat half the field on a heavy ‘sit up and beg’ bike he had to borrow from his granny at the last moment. (Complete with wicker basket).

Amazing as well as amusing.

Just shows its not just about the weight and components.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
On top of all this, the quality and experience plus weight of the rider must fundamentally be added into the mix. I once recall an experienced rider turning up and doing a 10 mile time trial and an amazing time, that beat half the field on a heavy ‘sit up and beg’ bike he had to borrow from his granny at the last moment. (Complete with wicker basket).

That I would have liked to have seen, especially to witness all the noses it must have put out of joint! Getting dropped by someone riding their granny's 3-speed must be the ultimate cycling humiliation. You could only better it if the wicker basket also contained granny's weekly shopping.
My bikes range from just under 25 lbs to just over 40 lbs and there's zero chance of me making a respectable TT time on any of them!

otherself

Fully lugged in.
I had an c.2001 Olmo scatto frame that weighed 1489g for 54cm c-t frame. Thats lighter than some mid range alluminium models of the time. It had deda eom 16.5 steel tubing that was wafer thin guage. I always felt it would fold under my 83kg.

My favourite steel tubesets are Reynolds 653 and 731, the latter having internal rifled spirals. They weigh about 1720-1800g, respectively.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you take off the saddle-bag & the bottles, this complete bike (inc. stainless steel mudguards, bottle cages, leather saddle, etc) weighs 12kg. I made no attempt to save weight with components.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's a respectable weight. My Raleigh Royal 531 weighs 25.8 lbs with bottle cages but without mudguards. The saddle isn't leather either. I'm more than happy with sub 26 lbs for a steel touring bike, it's a full stone less than what my 3-speed Raleigh roadster weighs!

My father who had a Hobbs A&P in the 50s followed by a Gillott 531 in the 60s swore he’d couldn’t tell the difference. Even in those days there was ‘531’ and ‘531’ (Slightly thinner in the tube centre) for certain frame builders long before there was a transfer for special lightweight or Proffesional.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My favourite steel tubesets are Reynolds 653 and 731
I absolutely loved the fixie I built out of a 653-framed Dawes. Fantastic bike. Light but equally importantly, I'd say, a very tight, uncompromising geometry. So instantly responsive. Went like the proverbial. Kind of regret selling it, but it was always a bit too big for me in truth.

Top Bottom