What's a Realistic Maximum Cadence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I'm slowly learning how to ride my fixed gear bike:smile:

One of the issues I'm having is spinning my legs fast enough. This evening I briefly hit 29 mph which works out at a cadence of 127 (44 x 15 gearing, 700 x 23 tyres). At anything over 25mph (cadence of 109) I feel uncomfortable - almost out of control.

What's a realistic, sustainable (for a minute or two on a downhill) maximum cadence?
Are there any specific techniques to improve cadence? Or is just a case of riding more?!

Keep at it, it took me a couple of months to maintain 100 on the flat, and I can now push it up to about 140/150, it's easier to build up cadence uphill and just get yourself in to an aero position downhill. I'm on 44:17 though, 25mm.

stevevw

Guru
I found that I could get to 175 cadence 42mph on the down hill sprint at the end of our club runs. cant say it is easy or comfortable but is controlable as long as you keep pushing and pushing hard, as soon as you let off or relax you will be bumping up and down on the saddle and at that sort of speed it is very scarey. I am certain that my club mates let me win the sprint just so they can laugh at my cartoon legs wizzing round.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i bounce at 125,130 then it evens out till 168 ish can only maitain that for a min or two, my garmin did give 230 as a max when i was being silly but i do question it as 18 is the max i have ever done befor

I think you just build up to a good, comfortable cadence and you'll find yours in your own time.

I'm middle-aged and not slim. There's no chance I'd be mistaken for Joop Zoetemelk.

I can cruise all day at 95, bobble along lanes at 110 with ease, put in pushes at 125-ish and have (on occasion) descended at 165+.

Unlike stevevw (above), I find that these higher (for me) cadences are possible only if I am NOT pushing. I just have to spin my legs around and let the hill take them. I also keep my ankles pretty rigid. If I try to push at anything over 140rpm, I find that the whole plot becomes unstable.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've been riding fixed for a couple of years and when I started, I was much like you - anything much above 120rpm felt nerve-janglingly fast.

Now... well, there's a short, steep descent on my regular morning commute where I regularly hit 185-190rpm, but I don't think I'd be able to sustain that for very long. There's also a much longer, gentler descent that I tend to take at around 150rpm, which I can sustain comfortably.

Afaict, you just develop your souplesse as you ride fixed more. I've never done any specific training for it.

d.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
... but is controlable as long as you keep pushing and pushing hard, as soon as you let off or relax you will be bumping up and down on the saddle...

Unlike stevevw (above), I find that these higher (for me) cadences are possible only if I am NOT pushing. I just have to spin my legs around and let the hill take them. I also keep my ankles pretty rigid. If I try to push at anything over 140rpm, I find that the whole plot becomes unstable.

Interesting. Without consciously thinking about it I've been NOT pushing. I tried pushing today and felt a lot more stable and in control. I also got to a very slightly higher cadence of 131.

I'll keep experimenting and see how it goes.

Fair play to those of you hitting 150+:eek:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Another interesting side effect I've found from riding fixed is that now when I ride a bike with gears, I'm much less inclined to coast. I also used to be a masher but now I'm a spinner - my "cruising" cadence on gears is around 100rpm these days.

Of course, what gear you ride will have a bearing on this - for me, it's about 65" for general use. You have to get used to spinning when you ride a gear that short. Or get through brake blocks very quickly on descents.

d.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Practice pedalling round the stroke, that is consciously moving your feet in circles rather than just pressing down on the pedals. On 43x18 I can keep up with geared cyclists on most descents. I don't find the need to push hard (a bit self-defeating, that), but retaining muscle control is important.

stevevw

Guru
I don't find the need to push hard (a bit self-defeating, that).
My example was for the down hill sprint at the end of the Sunday club run which is the only time that I would reach a cadence that high and pushing hard is needed to beat those geared boys ^_^
Normally up to 130ish I would still be pedalling rather than relaxing my legs. Suppose it is the same as every thing we all find our own way of doing things.

Hi guys
Don't wish to be rude but finding the conversation a little far fetched. I have just got home having hit the fastest average speed so far for me. I run a 42/13 and my max average over 20 miles WAS 25.6 mph and I am extremely proud of myself as tonight I managed 26.2 mph average over 20 miles.:boxing:F@*KING GET IN THERE!!!!! My top speed was 31.2 mph and probably downhill^_^ . Anyhow, this makes my cadence 100.9 RPM. (Taken from http://www.lfgss.com/thread17162.html) If I ride a 27" wheel on 42/13 then 27 x (42/13) = 87.23 gear inch, which according to the website 336 divided by my gear inch and multiplied by my mph = my cadence. Hence, 336 / 87.23 x 26.2 = 100.9. So if all these websites are true then most of you are not human.

Now I have only been riding for 3 months and have only had my fixed gear for a month and I know I will get better in time, BUT according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(cycling) 90 RPM is about right for professionals. Mr Armstrong does 110 RPM and PROFESSIONAL SPRINTERS do around 170 RPM for very short periods. ( http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=433 ) makes for a very interesting read on cadence actually.

You are all talking about cadences of 125/140ish for most of your riding, not including downhills which makes Mr Armstrong a complete novice. I have seen other websites where people get even more unrealistic I.E. http://www.glasgowfixedgear.com/discussion/922/working-out-cadencespeedgear-inches/p1 where one person says 207 is his cadence. ???????????????WTF

The other night I flipped my wheel over to the freewheel side 16 T and could only average 20.9 and max at 25.2 mph which tells me that for me, and I am not unique, I get a much faster speed from a higher GI. I am sorry to say that logic also says that there are some tall tales out there. At say 150 rpm your "little legs" will be rotating at 2.5 revs a second. Highly unlikely. Pro's hit around 170 for VERY short sprints which is 2.8, not much difference. While poor old slow boy Lance Armstrong who is QUOTE "known for his technique of keeping up high cadences of around 110 rpm" (as per Wikipedia website) only manages 1.8 revs a second.

I will be watching the Olympics and looking for you all to win gold medals.

Top Bottom