What's a sportive like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zeffer

One of my targets this year is to ride a sportive. I know I can go the distance, but need to keep working on hills.

But with no experience at all I'm slightly concerned about entering one.

What is it actually like? Do I need experience of group riding first? If there are feeding stations, what do I do? Queue up? Is the route obvious (I'm great at getting lost)? Anything I need to bring? Anything else?

Daft questions but I have no idea at all and that's why I haven't entered one yet. Maybe I just have to go for one and get the experience!

chappers1983

You should definitely work towards that goal. I started riding sportives in 2014 and instantly got hooked on it - ended up doing 24 last year. I was a little apprehensive entering for the first time, but there really isn't any reason to be.

You don't need any experience of group riding, you'll tend to find that most of the participants are on their own, or with a mate etc so there are lots of 1's and 2's spread along the road. Sometimes you might find yourself riding with someone of a similar pace, in which case you might want to feel like having a go at sharing the pace but if you don't want too you can just pootle along as quickly as you like.

There will be feed stations, the quality of which will vary depending on the organisation of the event. Very informal, there will no doubt be a table full off flapjacks, banana's, energy bars etc and a couple of barrels of energy drink - just mingle with anyone else who's there and take a couple of things.

The routes are generally easy to follow - big illuminous signs and arrows along the way. As long as you keep your head up and make sure you see a sign of some description every 5 minutes or so you can't go wrong. The worst thing to do is just to follow the person in front - for all you know they may not be on the sportive! Just look after yourself and keep your eyes peeled for any signs. Generally, the route will be signposted at any turn-off so if you get lost just turn back until you meet other riders!

I always make sure I've got 2 inner tubes, tyre levers, multi-tool, energy bars, drink, my phone and a bit of cash on me. Depending on weather you might want to bring your waterproof, arm warmers or whatever.

Definitely do one, you'll love it. Try a shorter or a flatter route to start with just to get a feel for it, once you've done one you'll wonder why you've not done so before!

kipster

Guru
Sportives vary from large closed road right down to smaller local ones. I have enjoyed the ones that I've done, but I don't do many. If I do them they are usually a bit away from where I live just to ride on different roads without having to research and plan routes.

Generally signs are good, but occasionally local residents like to make things fun and interesting by removing some, so it's always useful to have the route on a garmin or a paper map tucked away.

Feed stations vary, so I always make sure I'm self sufficient, that way I know what I've got I will get on with. I even take sealed snack bags with my favourite drink power in, why risk something new?

You don't need group riding experience but it's useful to know some of the signals that group riders use, as you may have someone close behind you at some point, but don't worry too much.

Get signed up for one and enjoy the ride.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What is it actually like? Some are just big group rides stringing out along the full course (generally the charity rides that have converted to charity sportive events) but increasingly they're hell on wheels. Too many people with no experience of group riding trying to imitate what they see on TV racing coverage, but not signalling, calling or covering the brakes when needed, touching wheels and finishing in the ambulance. I've seen enough horrible things that I don't intend to ride another any time soon unless the marshals start getting serious about declassifying dangerous riders, can you tell? If I've not deterred you, I'd say pick either a huge sportive with enough marshals and maybe closed roads, or a small 150-rider local one.

The approaches to feeding stations varies but it should be obvious if you need to queue and if not, then ask.

The route signposting varies between obvious and minimal so if you're great at getting lost, load the route into your sat nav.

Take enough food to get you round if hogs have emptied the feed stations and enough tools to get you moving again after a minor mechanical. It can be a long time before a support wagon reaches you sometimes, so only use it if you must.

mjr

Just remember its not a race, and if there are idiots, keep your distance. its about having fun and a chance for a chat with like minded folk.
Good point: if anyone starts referring to it as "the race" then let them go off ahead. They'll often be taking inappropriate risks and you don't want to be in their crash, or even taking avoiding action too often.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I witnessed some of the risks on a Manchester 100. I'd caught a group and they were going a good pace, but once or twice the front riders just went bowling through junctions without a care for the rest of the group, and didnt warn about traffic. The group also had a knob that wouldnt let anyone work on the front and half wheeled. I was glad when my front mech came loose on a downshift, and i had a quick stop to correct it. Fortunately id been dropped. A right miserable lot. Other times Ive been with a few good folk and had a laugh.

I did the Cheshire Cat on my own at my own pace, but chatted to folk as and when small groups got together, but spent the last 30 miles on m own as the groups had split.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for all the input. I am getting more of a picture. I ride alone most of the time at the moment. Need some practice with minor mechanicals on the roadside. I think I would bring enough nutrition in any case.

I do want to join a club, so maybe I'll do that first. They seem a bit fast for me as I'm still stuck at 15mph average and only 14mph on a 100k. They do have b and c rides though!

Jimidh

Veteran
Sportives are generally great fun and great for riders of all levels.

You will find really good club riders going out to get good times and will generally ride in groups and will probably go out in the earlier waves.

The most dangerous group are the wannabes who think they are good riders but generally have v little experience of group riding and are to be avoided.

There are then the riders who are either up for the challenge of just getting the distance done or out for a good day on the bike.

Make sure you have enough repair kit and food for the whole event although I have never seen an empty table at a feed station.

Get yourself enters into one and the set your goals and train accordingly and good luck.

mjr

I do want to join a club, so maybe I'll do that first. They seem a bit fast for me as I'm still stuck at 15mph average and only 14mph on a 100k. They do have b and c rides though!
Other cycling groups are available! My local is about 10mph. People from it are fine on most sportives and most can go a bit faster if needed so are OK on all except those with the toughest time limits.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ive done two club sportives, and they are much better. Far friendlier, less cyclists, and better food.

Only slightly biased as it was organised by chap in my cycling club. Its something he does as a part of his business of cycling tours in Europe

Jimidh

Veteran
Thanks for all the input. I am getting more of a picture. I ride alone most of the time at the moment. Need some practice with minor mechanicals on the roadside. I think I would bring enough nutrition in any case.

If you want to get faster then riding with a club with better riders is great idea. We have all started as the rider hanging off the back of the group but before you know it you will be taking your turn up the front.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Generally they are great with great people, but like most things in life a few bozos can spoil it.

I have seen people just stop, even though they know there are people behind.

Junctions have been called "Clear!" with HGVs approaching

Also, on sportives you will find that the correct way to fix a puncture is to remove the wheel, then lie the bike down in the middle of the lane.

Its a group ride, but treat it as a solo and look after yourself not relying on anyone else, and enjoy the banter.

Top Bottom