What's a sportive like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I certainly wouldn't pay to ride my bike on open roads where you just get a couple of skanky gels or a banana

Closed roads such as Ride London a different kettle of cod but although I enjoyed it, don't think I'd do more than once

I don't actually like riding with lots of other cyclists and especially not when you add traffic into the mix!

Imo If you want to ride in groups, join a club, if you want to compete, learn and start to race

e-rider

crappy member
One of my targets this year is to ride a sportive. I know I can go the distance, but need to keep working on hills.

But with no experience at all I'm slightly concerned about entering one.

What is it actually like? Do I need experience of group riding first? If there are feeding stations, what do I do? Queue up? Is the route obvious (I'm great at getting lost)? Anything I need to bring? Anything else?

Daft questions but I have no idea at all and that's why I haven't entered one yet. Maybe I just have to go for one and get the experience!
In a nutshell, a sportive is a load of inexperienced middle-aged men, riding expensive Specialized, Giant and Cannondale (and Trek) carbon road bikes, pretending to be Chris Froome, and paying through the nose to do so!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's where you were going wrong! When I used to do sportives my jersey pockets were full of gels from the feed stops that would last me the year.

Also, those mini malt loafs too.

I made most of the entrance fee back in "freebies".
But gels are foul

si_c

Guru
To the OP, I've more or less made the same goal for myself this year, participation in a sportive. Having said that, the interest for me is riding one of the closed road ones, so I've signed up for Ride London this year hoping I get an entry in the ballot. If not I'll consider doing a charity entry.

Try this one for the gentlest of introductions. A bit of a way from Solihull, but a lovely, friendly event.

http://www.brewoodcyclechallenge.com/

(no connection with the event other than as a rider and supporter)

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for all the responses. The appeal for me was that I thought all the roads would be closed. I didn't realise it depends on the Sportive in question.

I may stick to creating my own 100kms for a while, but will look out for a closed road one.

I suppose a club may well be a next step as I would like to see some other cyclists and their technique/ask questions but also feel pushed.

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks for all the responses. The appeal for me was that I thought all the roads would be closed. I didn't realise it depends on the Sportive in question.

I may stick to creating my own 100kms for a while, but will look out for a closed road one.

I suppose a club may well be a next step as I would like to see some other cyclists and their technique/ask questions but also feel pushed.

It's still one up from pootling around on your own though. The route is laid out and sign posted, feeding stations, and stronger sense of purpose than you'd get on say a Sunday ride, so I wouldn't completely rule it out - it's just not like entering a race.

Although I'm not really a fan of them, it's worth seeing what they're like and deciding if they're "for you".

@mrjay
Apologies for the continued outbreak of reasonableness.

Fubar

Guru

I wouldn't discount non-closed road events, as people tend to be a bit more sensible if there is traffic in the mix. They will normally set off early on a Sunday, on quiet roads. Sportive are a great motivator, and if you are doing 100k already you are doing way more than I ever did before my first one! Yes there are negatives, but you need to try one for yourself and decide.

Remember as well it's difficult to increase speed too much at this time of year, just keep getting the miles in and the speed will come.

All the best and keep us informed!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

I will definitely keep you informed. Good advice, I do need to try for myself.

A few people have said to get 'miles in my legs' - I so look forward to summer and seeing how different my usual routes seem in good weather.

BorderReiver

Veteran
So far nobody has said anything about pacing so here I go: Make sure you don't start too fast. You will probably be riding further than you have ever been before (you might as well, there is the safety net of a broom wagon if it all goes horribly wrong on the day) and there is a great temptation to go flat out at the start, especially if you find yourself in a fast group. Make sure you start off at a pace you can sustain for the rest of the day or the afternoon will be truly miserable. First time out just focus on getting round.

Closed roads are very rare, and very expensive. Done a few sportives and found them pointless, the route signage tends to be not fantastic, marshals sparse and food stations ill stocked.

IMO you are better off doing an audax, much cheaper and you don't get or expect signposts, marshals or food stops so you don't rely on them. Much freindlier as well.

Route, you get a route card, but best use sat nav if its not your thing

Food, they have control points, which tend to be at cafes, many offer a nosh up at the end that tends to be much better than anything a sportive offers, being provided by volunteers etc.

Mechanicals, never seen a break down/ accident were others have failed to stop to offer assistance/ advice

Top Bottom