What's a sportive like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
It's the closest you'll get to feeling like you're in a pro tour. Popular sportives will have a couple thousand entrants, they won't all be racing, but a lot will. There's a reason most big sportives these days give you timing chips. It's unofficial racing on a big scale.

Citius

Pro tour, my arse. It's the same as going for a bike ride - except you pay someone first.

outlash

also available in orange
It's the closest you'll get to feeling like you're in a pro tour. Popular sportives will have a couple thousand entrants, they won't all be racing, but a lot will. There's a reason most big sportives these days give you timing chips. It's unofficial racing on a big scale.

Surely the closest feeling to being in a pro tour would be in an actual race. Of course, you not having actually raced, you wouldn't know this. It's riders like you that give sportives a bad reputation. If you want to race, race. But you won't (despite your boastful BS across these boards) because you know you'd be dropped 10 minutes in.

To the OP, if you want a challenge why not make a route and ride it?

blazed

220lb+
Pro tour, my arse. It's the same as going for a bike ride - except you pay someone first.

A race is a competition between people to see who is fastest. A British cycling race is no more a race, although like a sportive you are still charged. There's enough people at a sportive who are going all out, by definition of the word it's a race for the hundreds who do so.

Citius

There's enough people at a sportive who are going all out, by definition of the word it's a race for the hundreds who do so.

yawn.gif

We have very courteous drivers in this neck the woods, unfortunately because it is a rather good place to ride, a couple of sportive come here each year, afterwards some drivers are somewhat less courteous and guess who gets the brunt of that.
On the odd occasion when I have observed one of the sportives, the riders are mostly on their own or in twos, this being the case why did they pay up to 50p per mile to ride their bikes? Route planning is obviously another dying skill.
As Tim says, do an Audax, no one is racing [I hope].

screenman

Legendary Member
Other cycling groups are available! My local is about 10mph. People from it are fine on most sportives and most can go a bit faster if needed so are OK on all except those with the toughest time limits.

Seems our club has rides out like yours, they call themselves the wrinklies and have great fun.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
A sportive is people pretending its a race when it isn't, an Audax is people pretending it's not a race when it is

One of my targets this year is to ride a sportive. I know I can go the distance, but need to keep working on hills.

But with no experience at all I'm slightly concerned about entering one.

What is it actually like? Do I need experience of group riding first? If there are feeding stations, what do I do? Queue up? Is the route obvious (I'm great at getting lost)? Anything I need to bring? Anything else?

Daft questions but I have no idea at all and that's why I haven't entered one yet. Maybe I just have to go for one and get the experience!

It's a race, a very competitive race. You must ride flat out at all times. If you dawdle on hills, you will be tutted at, by accountants on 10 grand super duper mega Carbon bikes. Don't dare stop, for a breather, that will obviously make you a 'nodder'. If you don't push yourself into 'zone 5' or some shoite, you are not worthy to be in the race, erm, I mean sportive. But seriously. The majority of people are just there for the ride / experience / free stuff. Just treat it like what it is, a group ride, with some organised stuff along the way, and you'll be fine:thumbsup:.

You will find really good club riders going out to get good times and will generally ride in groups and will probably go out in the earlier waves
Agreed, when I last did one, all of the local club riders (most of them were from my Club, too) were at the front, & disappearing out of sight, before we'd got a mile from the Hospice that was the start/finish

I teamed up with one rider, & we worked together, we were about equal on the flats, so we 2-up TT'd , I was a bit better on the few hills that there were, so set a steady pace for him
I'm sure we were 2nd, & 3rd, back out of about 70 in our distance group

Still,I'd have been more than equally happy working with someone in the other end, & helped them to finish safely/securely

Just remember its not a race, and if there are idiots, keep your distance.
The most dangerous group are the wannabes who think they are good riders but generally have v little experience of group riding and are to be avoided
Totally agree 100%
When it was the Tour of Yorkshire, & on Stage 3, I rode out (after seeing the start in Wakefield)) up towards Otley, to see the ascent of East Chevin
I had the misfortune to interact with the accompanying Sportive, as I rode from (Yeadon) Airport, down towards 'Poole Crossroads'
There were plenty of riders who were simply suicidal
Anyone who knows the road, will know that it's twisty/solid double white lines/quite a sharp gradient
Riders were passing cars over the 'solids', & undertaking
I didn't see it, but was told later by someone I know, that one mad sod even went between an opposing car & it's (near-side) kerb:cursing::eek:
Now things like that are a cert to see sportives banned

Get yourself enters into one and the set your goals and train accordingly and good luck
I agree, but most importantly enjoy yourself

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely the closest feeling to being in a pro tour would be in an actual race
Maybe one of the races that take place on the closed courses of the pro tours?

I've no interest in racing but riding on the Tour of Britain London circuit last September was a pretty unique experience, like the Freecycle without the congestion. I can see why racing in that environment could be fun for some people. I don't think competing in Bath's Victoria Park crits would quite match up unless you really like racing. There used to be junior, amateur and pro-am races on the closed-road sections before the finish of many of the ToB stages, but I've no idea if there still are.

Tin Pot

Guru
One of my targets this year is to ride a sportive. I know I can go the distance, but need to keep working on hills.

But with no experience at all I'm slightly concerned about entering one.

What is it actually like? Do I need experience of group riding first? If there are feeding stations, what do I do? Queue up? Is the route obvious (I'm great at getting lost)? Anything I need to bring? Anything else?

Daft questions but I have no idea at all and that's why I haven't entered one yet. Maybe I just have to go for one and get the experience!

I'd ignore most of the responses here.

It's a just a lot of people riding a route. It's not a big deal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Junctions have been called "Clear!" with HGVs approaching
A distressing number of people think that you call "clear" to say that you have cleared the junction, rather than it is clear of traffic for those following. This is a messy crash waiting to happen.

Also, on sportives you will find that the correct way to fix a puncture is to remove the wheel, then lie the bike down in the middle of the lane.
But the velominati rules say not to stand the bike upside-down! ;)

It's a just a lot of people riding a route. It's not a big deal.

Who are you and where are you holding @Tin Pot? :laugh:

I have enjoyed a couple if sportives but they are a bit silly really. The idea of them imposing rules just makes me giggle.

Citius

I don't think competing in Bath's Victoria Park crits would quite match up unless you really like racing.

If you like racing, then you tend to go wherever the races are. The closest thing to being in a pro tour race is being in any other race that isn't part of the pro tour, including amateur races - because the objective is exactly the same. The thing least like being in a pro tour race is being in a UK sportive, where finishing first is not the objective.

Top Bottom