What's been a backwards step in technology for you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Done that.

Ok thanks. :okay:

They are so bad that it was probably worth doing again. ^_^

Loathe the damned things.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not just that the shifting is far quicker, slicker and precise on the bar ends .
You must have had either very crappy, or badly adjusted kit... :whistle:

My Ergopower controls are Click (lever)-clunk (chain)-click-clunk-click-clunk; no hesitation, no missing, straight in there!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You must have had either very crappy, or badly adjusted kit... :whistle:

My Ergopower controls are Click (lever)-clunk (chain)-click-clunk-click-clunk; no hesitation, no missing, straight in there!

Even when working with DC you have to move the levers far further than bar end to initiate a change. Bar ends are simply faster, slicker, and spot on.

ColinJ

Even when working with DC you have to move the levers far further than bar end to initiate a change. Bar ends are simply faster, slicker, and spot on.
I spend most of my time riding with my hands on the hoods, so a movement of one finger or thumb is all that is needed. To use bar-end shifters or (*shudder*) down-tube shifters would require arm, hand and finger movements every time!

Anyway, I'm glad that you are happy to be in a small minority of retro-shifting cyclists! :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I spend most of my time riding with my hands on the hoods, so a movement of one finger or thumb is all that is needed. To use bar-end shifters or (*shudder*) down-tube shifters would require arm, hand and finger movements every time!

Anyway, I'm glad that you are happy to be in a small minority of retro-shifting cyclists! :okay:

If you can shift the lever through the required travel for a gear shift with just your thumb you clearly don’t have D.C. like the Shimano offering I had.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Dual control brake / gear levers. They are shoot. Went back to down tube / bar end shifters and brakes that just do braking.

The modern version "cross stops" (I think?) are very good indeed, so in this case the new tech is a vast improvement

ColinJ

If you can shift the lever through the required travel for a gear shift with just your thumb you clearly don’t have D.C. like the Shimano offering I had.
I use Campagnolo Ergopower on the bike in question. The change from bigger sprockets/rings to smaller uses a thumb movement on a small lever on the inner edge of the shifter. An inner lever shifts the other way and changing by one gear is a short click on the lever. Multiple single clicks or one longer movement can be used to shift multiple gears in either direction.

I have Shimano Tiagra on my CX bike and I don't like the STI action as much as Ergopower's method, but I still prefer it to the down-tube shifters that I used 30+ years ago!

Top Bottom