What's going on with the cricket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I enjoy watching the cricket, though I admit to knowing very little about it, but can someone explain to me how England can dominate the tests against India so totally, then get so comprehensively stuffed in the ODIs? This is not at all a rhetorical question - I'm genuinely baffled, and would appreciate the thoughts of folk out there who understand such things.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
India do not care as much about test cricket as they do ODI`/T20, but its the reverse with England. Test cricket is only taken seriously by England, Australia and South Africa, imho.

Be it hosting or touring I can never remember which side won the ODI`s and T20`s, but I remember who won the test series.

Purist and proud :smile:

I love cricket, and think it's a disgrace that I cannot watch a Test Match on the BBC.

I used to like one-day stuff as well, and played for a couple of seasons in Australia in the early 90s - I was crap, but managed to play with the Waughs and against Mark Taylor. Mostly because I was gallus and nothing to do with my ability. (I was eventually found out ;) )

I'm sure 20/20 is a thrill, but as it's not on mainstream TV I don't know.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
@delb0y and I had a splendid day at The County Ground on Tuesday watching Gloucestershire V Leicestershire. We witnessed a record third wicket stand for the County, and almost a record for any wicket, but not quite.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
To get back to the OP, they're very different games in the modern era - although some players and teams do well at both, it's not that surprising that a good test team != a good ODI team.

U

User169

KP's hatchet job is out now - ghostwritten by David Walsh.

U

User169

I've read bits of it and I thought it should be filed under fiction.

Difficult to know of course, but I'd surprised if most wasn't broadly true. Clearly, there have been some major problems in the England the and whatever you think of KP, the timing of his sacking was bizarre. Sad though that he just wants to go in for petty score settling, although I wonder how much he's been lead on by Walsh and his publishers. Great to watch when in form, but the fact he still thinks he can get back into the England team is not exactly indicative of the most reflective of personalities!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ah, crickit... never understood how 2 sides can play for days and draw.
It's simple.
In order to win you have to bowl the other team out twice. So if neither side can bowl the other out, its a draw. The number of runs scored is irelevant, unless both teams have been bowled out, or declared, then the side with the most runs wins.

The above doesn't count if you are playing limited overs cricket, where you dont need to bowl the other side out, you just need to score more runs. Although a limted overs match can be tied or drawn if various scenarious met.

there I told you it was simple.

Top Bottom