What's going on with the cricket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Last time I saw Rooooot on TV he had grown some stubble and looked at least 15 1/2.

spen666

Legendary Member
I enjoy watching the cricket, though I admit to knowing very little about it, but can someone explain to me how England can dominate the tests against India so totally, then get so comprehensively stuffed in the ODIs? This is not at all a rhetorical question - I'm genuinely baffled, and would appreciate the thoughts of folk out there who understand such things.
Its a bit like asking why Cavendish is such a brilliant sprinter but gets stuffed in the mountains.

different types of races/ riding and different types of cricket

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cricinfo's review of "KP" is up, incidentally;

When KP: The Autobiography does not push you into taking sides, it leads you into a contemplation of a flawed character. It is forthright, populist and written in such an agitated, self-justifying manner that even the brashest paragraphs cannot disguise the loneliness of the sporting maverick. There is an "I" in team he asserts, reminding us that cricket is an individual game in a team setting. And so there is. But there is a limit. He forever smacks of an individual refusing to accept the strictures of a team sport.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/788447.html

Ganymede

Veteran
'He forever smacks of an individual refusing to accept the strictures of a team sport.'

That is a good insight. The other thread talking about Cycling being a different sport from any other (due to working as a team but the individual winning) brought up cricket in this regard - you are lonely at the crease, but part of a team, and cricket has one of the highest instances of post-career mental illness and suicide (I read a while ago, sorry do not have a citation for that). Cycling is at least something you can enjoy alone, and you can compete as an individual at amateur level, but cricket can never be anything but a team sport which exposes every team member's ability in sharp relief.

KP smacks to me of someone who was probably doted on as a kid. It's never good for you. Again, just a feeling, but I've met the type in real life. Wonderful cricketer of course, if erratic.

Top Bottom