what's in a name?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by kedab, 2 Aug 2012.

1. kedab

kedab Über Member

morning CC'ers :hello:
    i'm not sure how many of you do this but i quite like to give my transport a name. my car is 'gizmo', my giant cityspeed is 'sissy' but i'm a bit stuck with what to christen my new bike. it's a giant tcr - i'm thinking of calling it 'tracy' because every kevin should have a tracy, right? :rolleyes:

2. Maylian

Maylian Senior Member

I've thought about asking this same questions a few times but never got around to it. I name my bikes, both of which are named in my signature.
    My Cube is called "Ice" - mainly because my bike is black (BlackIce), it's a cube (IceCube) and it's cool......sad I know.
    My Specialized was called "Dice" - it was black and white.
    My Giant is called "Alan" - mainly because I have had two incidents where I hadn't done the allan key up tight enough almost causing me issues.

kedab likes this.
  3. swampyseifer

swampyseifer Well-Known Member

I cant name my bike...I feel bad enough that I leave it locked up in a dusty dark communal bike-shed for weeks on end.....if I gave it a personality then I dont think I could handle the looks it would give me when I finally do get round to take it for a spin :sad:

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  4. RaRa

RaRa Well-Known Member

All my bikes have been given names (I'm hooked on this n+1 concept!), brownie points if you can figure out where they've been taken from :whistle:

Commuter hybrid - George
    MTB - Gerard
    Road Bike - James
    Winter/Audax bike (currently being built from parts) will be christened Ryan

I especially like heading out and yelling back at the hubby that I'm going for a ride on James - makes the neighbours curtains twitch :laugh:

Pat "5mph", kedab and swampyseifer like this.
  5. Maylian

Maylian Senior Member

6. RaRa

RaRa Well-Known Member

And here's me thinking I was being all cryptic in my name choices - You got 2 right ^_^

The MTB is indeed Gerard Butler
    And the Winter bike is a Ribble so it had to be Ryan "the ribble " Reyolds (and i'd just seen the green lantern)

Maylian likes this.
  7. Night Train

Night Train Maker of Things

I have Granville, a slightly hard done by Hungarian folding shopping bike of dubious parentage; and Tiddles, a tiddler of a bike (Brompton) in comparison with Granville.

I also have Ratrike, an ex-KMX that was rebuilt with scrap and rubbish, and Emilie the Emmelle hybrid.

Maylian likes this.
  8. Jefferson Meriwether

Jefferson Meriwether Über Member

The other day I decided that I should really get round to naming my Kona seeing as I'd had it nearly two years now so I named it Old Faithful. The next day some silly sausage pulled out of a side road right in front of me & Old Faithful is now no more.

I still haven't named my Mountain Bike yet & will soon have a new Road Bike to name as well.

9. Maylian

Maylian Senior Member

Wow that is ironic....like naming a cat "lucky".
    My brother named one of his fixies "Falcor" (dragon from never ending story) people became more attached to Falcor than my brother. Although that's more an indictment on my brother than praise for the bike....it was a nice bike though (I miss it)!

10. Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic Veteran

I've got a an old Scott hybrid town bike for knocking about on and I've managed to alter the logo writing so that it spells "SLUT". As such that is now it's name but only because I could make it look like it said that and not for any reasons about it being a good ride or because it's been ridden by lots of people. Having said that it is a fairly good ride. A bit on the heavy side but nice and comfy and responsive...And it has great tits.

defy-one, kedab and Maylian like this.
  11. Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic Veteran

That is a sad story. Hope you weren't injured and that someone other than yourself is or has paid for Old Faithful (up to a point)" to be replaced.

12. OP
    OP
    kedab

kedab Über Member

:laugh: that is brilliant

Cyclopathic likes this.
  13. Cyclist33

Cyclist33 Guest

Bob, a Marin Bobcat Trail, and Maggie, a Cannondale Quick (named after the "magnesium" colour scheme.

stu

14. defy-one

defy-one Guest

Rocky - Giant Rock MTB
    Debbie - Defy
    Jackie (chan) - metro Shogun hybrid

Will have to think of a name for a Triban 3 if I get one. First dibs on Tina (ex girlfriends name and I'd love to ride her again) :ohmy:

15. Former User

Former User Guest

Weard! not even in a monty python way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice