What's in your bag - illustrated edition

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by anothersam, 31 May 2015.

1. anothersam

anothersam SMIDSMe

Pics if you've got 'em!

bag1.jpg

In a pocket where I can reach them while awheel:
    redacted.jpg

Ancient telecommunications device featuring Committee of Ways and Means as screensaver. A newer, much sexier model is on order. (Phone, not Committee.) Recorder with two world-changing ideas I had which were later erased by accident; sadly I can't remember what they were now. Out of shot is a square of cloth which can be used to mop up excess sweat but whose primary purpose is keeping the phone & recorder from rattling against each other and driving me crazy even when I can't hear them – see below.

Other pocket:
    bag5.jpg

Spare tube because I'd rather not patch on the road. C02 because I'd rather not pump on the road. Patches to satisfy the belt-and-braces brigade. 15mm wrench for when bag is on nutted-axle bike. Obligatory multi-tool. Gloves in case I need to get really down and dirty. Spare baggies because I hate wearing rubber gloves and can use one to reseat a chain if necessary, or store half-eaten food or a million other things.

Main compartment
    bag6.jpg

Mesh pocket underneath the top:
    bag7.jpg

The map is in case I ever have to go on the lam or to Eastbourne. Plastic wallet contains ccard & money for emergency purchases such as 7up (still the uncola, at least in my heart). Connex used to be the rail company which serviced my public transport corridor before they got kicked out for being too dire.

bag8.jpg

Another spare tube, because when I get a puncture and use the other spare there's always the terrible possibility that I'll get another puncture and have to resort to patches. Tyre levers in case I lose my touch at manhandling them off. Lezyne light. Pump which I always promise myself I'll use instead of C02. Yet more paraphernalia which suggests I have an obsession with keeping my hands clean. Also not one but two spare earphones for my iPod – a testament to planned obsolescence as well as my horror at the thought of listening to the birds sing.

Last edited: 31 May 2015
    DiddlyDodds, potsy and swansonj like this.
  2. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

20150415_204843-jpg.85788.jpg

3. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

image.jpg Usually have Toblerone :wub: but I've eaten it.
    Carrots are for my wee pony pals.

2clepto, Dogtrousers and raleighnut like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    anothersam

anothersam SMIDSMe

@winjim please tell me you are able to keep those keys from rattling, or I'll be up all night. @Mrs M, did you eat the Toblerone first because bitter experience tells you this can happen?

tobleronepony.jpg

Mrs M likes this.
  5. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

:laugh:

6. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

Crickey, how much does that lot weigh? Just couldn't face lugging that lot around, slow me down too much!

2clepto likes this.
  7. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Nah, I just let 'em jingle :laugh:

2clepto likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    anothersam

anothersam SMIDSMe

I'm afraid to know! [Goes and weighs it anyway]

altura.jpg
    1564 grams. Which is a few hundred grams heavier than the frame it usually sits on. As it is a truism that the bigger the bag the more you'll carry, once I found and favoured this saddlebag I was essentially powerless to do anything but fill it.

ChrisEyles and Justinslow like this.
  9. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

Interesting, here's mine,
    image.jpg
    Just a basic kit really, and my iPhone, which I use for strava amongst other things, no garmin.
    700g. Surprising what you got in yours and the bigger bag to start with for not a lot of extra weight.

2clepto likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    anothersam

anothersam SMIDSMe

Well, it is mostly filled with sandwich bags...

That's the 2nd chainlink tool on this thread so far. Question: to what extent are people's choices about what to carry informed by their experiences? For example, I've never had a chain fail, even on long tours, so I don't carry one despite knowing that just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. When using much smaller saddlebags than I've availed myself of, there must be some agonising over what tools to leave out.

sinktool.gif
    one for @Mrs M
    carrot-tool.gif
    Like this guy

74.jpg
    photo - Sue Darlow

who probably hears a bit of rustling, but just gets on with it.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2015
    Mandragora, ChrisEyles, 4F and 4 others like this.
  11. KEEF

KEEF Veteran

30d97_ORIG-inside_the_6_pacck_bags.jpg I always carry the essentials

12. This, with the addition of a spoke key and a credit card.

13. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Perhaps, with no illustrations and no bag, the "What's In Your Bag - Illustrated Edition" thread is not the one for you?

ChrisV, Crackle, rich p and 8 others like this.
  14. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

Duly deleted. Thanks for enlightening me. ;)

15. OP
    OP
    anothersam

anothersam SMIDSMe

Pockets rule? That would be #9.

No offence @KEEF, but the last time I saw a bag like that it was being carried by a well known gourmand on a plane trip to a new life.
    coachclass.jpg

KEEF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice